Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #1

Share |

how to nail base cap of baseboard molding

I laid down a floating engineeried wood floor (over existing very old hardwood floor), and now need to install new basebaord molding. I've cut all the 1" x 7 1/4" pine boards and the separate base cap pieces (including the coped inside corners and mitered outside corners).

I seem to remember that when I pulled out the previous baseboards, the old base cap was nailed to the base boards, not the wall. Yet when I tried to put my first finishing nail vertically into the new base cap, it was about to split (so I pulled it out and pre-drilled the hole).

Should base cap be nailed to the base boards or into the wall? I couldn't find the answer anywhere on the internet.
conradA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
Chicago, IL

If you are referring to “shoe molding” (AKA “base shoe molding”), is should be nailed to the base, not the flooring:

This allows the floor to move inwards and outwards as the flooring expands and contracts in response to changes in humidity and temperature without buckling the floor or pulling the the shoe and/or base molding away form the wall.

BTW, don't know what profile you selected, but "base shoe" is not the same as "quarter round" - the difference seems subtle in profile, but to my eye the choice makes a surprisingly large difference in the finished appearance:

- http://www.woodfloorsonline.com/tech...-outlines2.gif

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #3

This is not a shoe molding, it is the decorative base cap that goes on *top* of the baseboard.
conradA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #4

All of the old base cap and baseboards I've seen, they are nailed together and only the baseboard is nailed to the wall.

Tags
base cap, baseboard, moldings