DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

how much should i charge?

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Termite 
#1 ·
I just did a tile job and i don't know how much to charge. By trade im an electrician, but i have my contractors liscence and do small jobs on the side. I just tile around a bathtub for some people i do a lot of work for. They had fake tile paneling over the bathtub. I ripped out the sheetrock, put up a vapor barrier, put up cement board, floated the walls so they were smooth and installed white 6x6 tiles to the ceiling. Keep in mind there is a hug 3'x4' window in the center wall. After i was done and grouted i repaired the sheetrock on the ceiling where it was covered in glue from the paneling. Then sprayed texture on the ceiling and walls to match the rest of the bathroom. They are going to paint it themselves

They bought all the materials. They are very happy with how it turned out, but they are my best customer and i don't want to over charge them. What do you think is a good price? I already discussed price with them, but i wanna make sure im in the ballpark

#4 ·
because neither of us know what a job like this goes for

i normally charge 30 an hour. I had way too much time in this job though, i probably ended up having 35-40 hours into it. I quit keeping track it took so long. I know 1200 was way too much, and like i said they are my best customer, so i told them id charge them half. 600 for the labor. They were happy and im fine with it. I Just don't know if 600 is way too much. or if a job like that really does go for 1200. I have no idea.

And twice the materials? So your saying i should charge the same for diagonal 4" tiles as 12" straight tiles. I worked in a custom house (as an electrician) that the kitchen 12" floor tiles cost $250 a piece. So i should charge $500 to install each one of those and install ceramic tiles for a $1 a piece?

#7 ·
As an electrician and being a handyman as well, I can see where you would be called upon to do other jobs from time to time.
Realistically, none of us could give you a price on what you should charge, as we have not seen the work involved.
But, as you say if you have 40 hours in the job, and you normally get $30 an hour, that would be $1200. You agreed to half price, so $600 would be right. I do not think that is too high.
In future, you might make an inquiry or two to an experienced tile person.
Although it sounds to me like you did quite a bit more than just put a few tiles up!
Locally, the big box stores like Home Depot have a per square foot price they charge. Perhaps you could check with them to find out what the going rate is.
Bottom line....the customer is happy. That's what counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.