DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Flooring (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/)
-   -   How much to install illuminated floor? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/how-much-install-illuminated-floor-48285/)

Prissy 07-07-2009 08:41 AM

How much to install illuminated floor?
 
Hi I have an flat area (800 sq-ft) that I am going to redo the flooring, hardwood would be much but out of budget right now so I am going for the cheaper illuminated flooring. Is there a difference in cost installing the real hardwood and illuminated floor? It seems like illuminated floors are easier, and the ones that I like doesn't need glue. Thanks!

drtbk4ever 07-07-2009 11:51 AM

Hi Prissy,

I think perhaps you are referring to Laminate flooring as opposed to illuminated flooring.

Yes, there are some that don't require glue to install. So yes, the cost to install a laminate floor is much less than hardwood.

Why don't you look into doing it yourself?

Prissy 07-07-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drtbk4ever (Post 298446)
Hi Prissy,

I think perhaps you are referring to Laminate flooring as opposed to illuminated flooring.

Yes, there are some that don't require glue to install. So yes, the cost to install a laminate floor is much less than hardwood.

Why don't you look into doing it yourself?

ya you are right !! It is Laminate haha. Anyways, let's say it'll cost me $2000 for hardwood install, for the same area how much will it cost to install the laminate floor?

I REALLY REALLY want to do it myself but it will be the first time that I am doing this, kind of afraid, it sounds like an easy job but still... :(

HABSFAN2006 07-07-2009 01:09 PM

Hi Prissy,

First, I have to admit I did jump on this subject because I wanted to familiarize myself with illuminated flooring if it was available! I was too curious... But yes, laminate flooring might be the best option for you.
DO NOT be afraid to do this project yourself, anyone can easily install these floors. The hardest part, will be renting/purchasing a saw which will allow you to cut the individual planks when needed.
Install is a brease, and for that sq. footage, you will find some at 1$/sq. ft, and lots of choice around $1.50/sq ft which should fulfill your needs,
these are readily available just about anywhere.

hope this helps, good luck

drtbk4ever 07-07-2009 01:14 PM

Actually, I honestly have no idea what the install cost would be on this. But have a look at this thread

http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/lamina...on-price-8161/

Prissy 07-07-2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABSFAN2006 (Post 298481)
Hi Prissy,

First, I have to admit I did jump on this subject because I wanted to familiarize myself with illuminated flooring if it was available! I was too curious... But yes, laminate flooring might be the best option for you.
DO NOT be afraid to do this project yourself, anyone can easily install these floors. The hardest part, will be renting/purchasing a saw which will allow you to cut the individual planks when needed.
Install is a brease, and for that sq. footage, you will find some at 1$/sq. ft, and lots of choice around $1.50/sq ft which should fulfill your needs,
these are readily available just about anywhere.

hope this helps, good luck

I totally agree going for laminated floors for myself because mainly the budget, and also I heard that it's better for humidity. I might get the flooring from IKEA, I was afraid at first but did some researches on the net and found out that it's not that bad.

But now I really need to know how much the install will cost for a 800 sq-ft apartment, or a ratio (Hardwood Floor : Laminated Floor) before I go visit the stores/installers this weekend.

Bud Cline 07-07-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

But now I really need to know how much the install will cost for a 800 sq-ft apartment, or a ratio (Hardwood Floor : Laminated Floor) before I go visit the stores/installers this weekend.
If you were to visit the stores you would know the cost and the cost differences.

HABSFAN2006 07-07-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prissy (Post 298486)
I totally agree going for laminated floors for myself because mainly the budget, and also I heard that it's better for humidity. I might get the flooring from IKEA, I was afraid at first but did some researches on the net and found out that it's not that bad.

But now I really need to know how much the install will cost for a 800 sq-ft apartment, or a ratio (Hardwood Floor : Laminated Floor) before I go visit the stores/installers this weekend.

Some stores will charge approx. the same amount as the flooring cost,
approx $2400 +/- $500 probably for your application.

Dont forget, this is a diy site, and we strongly encourage it. You'll find all the information you need in the installation instructions on the box, and this site.

Good luck with this project,

Scuba_Dave 07-07-2009 03:25 PM

Bummer, I wanted to see what an illuminated floor was :)

Bud Cline 07-07-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Scuba_Dave: "Bummer, I wanted to see what an illuminated floor was"

Laticrete offers a sparkly grout if that helps.:)

ccarlisle 07-07-2009 05:33 PM

I think Schluter has something along those lines, not sure, but remember the guy talking about it in their Innovations seminars...could be stair noses.

DangerMouse 07-07-2009 05:40 PM

for being a misunderstanding, it's given ME a thought.....
it could be an interesting baseboard effect....

DM

Scuba_Dave 07-07-2009 05:54 PM

So....what is it?
I prefer light up higher
But I did think about drilling glass block & inserting christmas lights
To make a lighted divider

DangerMouse 07-07-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave (Post 298673)
So....what is it?
I prefer light up higher
But I did think about drilling glass block & inserting christmas lights
To make a lighted divider

i like that idea! or even save the drilling hassle and put lights between two.
it'd only be an 8 or 9 inch divider....
i was thinking more along the lines of using the tongue x 2 to hold plexi around the perimeter of the room, paint it black underneath and run lights that way. pretty much replacing the next to last strip of flooring board with
plexi. it'd be cool even just along one edge of the room... maybe light a bookcase.... or just a night light. hmmmm

DM

gregdonovan 07-07-2009 10:20 PM

i remember an episode of monster house where thay built an illuminated "disco" floor in a house.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved