Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #1

Share |

how much carpet?

I am getting carpet and am alittle leary of the amount of carpet the installer is quoting me on. I have two rooms that are 12'6" x 13'6" and one room that 13'2" x 17'9". The goods I am purchasing are all 12' goods. Can someone tell me the size of carpet I should be buying for each room? Is it normal to need a 12' x 24' peice of carpet for a room that is 13'2" x 17'9"? Thanks for all your help!

Jon
jmgebhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
long island, NY

how much carpet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgebhart View Post
I am getting carpet and am alittle leary of the amount of carpet the installer is quoting me on. I have two rooms that are 12'6" x 13'6" and one room that 13'2" x 17'9". The goods I am purchasing are all 12' goods. Can someone tell me the size of carpet I should be buying for each room? Is it normal to need a 12' x 24' peice of carpet for a room that is 13'2" x 17'9"? Thanks for all your help!

Jon
well, that seems like roughly 20% over the area of the room. keep in mind, you can't install scraps... so you need to purchase extra (I'm presuming roughly 10%). If it only comes in 12' rolls, you may need even more beyond the 10% to cover the remaining area without using small pieces... it really depends upon the exact shape of the room, and any unusual features to the walls/doorways..... I don't think 12x24 is unreasonable for that room.
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

how much carpet?

12x24 for a 13.2x17.9 sounds like a little much to me, but without seeing the room and the carpet, no way to know.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Tileguy

how much carpet?

It's not as simple as you think Jon. We need more info, such as the direction of traffic patterns and the location of the doorways.

I would guess and say you would need a 12' x 35' or maybe 12' x 39', all depends on how many small pieces are practical.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote