Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #1

Share |

How long to wait after Top Coat of hardwood is applied?

The container of the top coat we are using says to wait 7 days before putting rugs or furniture on the floors. Is that typical for a oil based satin finish? Does that vary based on weather? Its in the 50's and rainy this week.
buzzkillb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
Tileguy

Hi Buzz,

Usually the recommendations would be to wait 3-7 days depending of the weather conditions. 7 days should be safe, but wait longer if you can.

What specific brand and type of finish did you use?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #3

Most oil based finishes take 2-4 weeks to cure. We always tell people 30 days for rugs with oil finish, and a week for water based finishes. For furniture we typically tell people 7 days. The reason we say a longer period of time on rugs is it could take the floor forever to cure under it, peel the finish if it has a rubber back, scratch the finish if it has a hard back etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote