Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

How long should one room of hardwood flooring take to refinish?

Reason I ask is we're in the crunch zone for our soon-to-be-here daughter's room. There is hardwood in it and we had intended to refinish that room and two others with hardwood floor. I'm 100% done with the room aside from repainting the doors, and I got some paint splatters on the floor that I had missed. It was recommended that I use this specific solution to remove the paint splatters, but to my surprise (and in no time at all) it's stripping the varnish off.

So, okay fine, lesson learned, but now I have a hardwood floor with some spots of missing varnish. The room truthfully needs redone anyway, so I'm toying with the idea of just redoing it. Thing is, I know my wife wants to get to decorating the baby room and whatnot, so I'm trying to balance my options.

The room is relatively small... pretty much 8x11, fully rectangle with no angles or anything to work around. If this is something I can crunch in this weekend, I'll gladly do it, but before I venture into unmarked territory (I haven't done this before) I figured I'd check here.

A series of Google results suggests that redoing hardwood floors can take 3-5 days, but in each instance they're also referring to an entire house. I'm doing one room. Granted, I know there is dry time involved and whatnot, so maybe the same still applies.

If there's a way to dress up the unvarnished spots, I'd be all for that too, assuming the refinish question will yield a 3-5 day finish time.

Any and all insight is appreciated!

EDIT - Another, likely shorter plan might be to use this solvent to remove the varnish from the entire room, then just re-varnish the whole thing. Thoughts on that? In this case, quicker is the key - because we'll be redoing our other 2 rooms (much larger rooms) later on, so tacking in this smaller one then wouldn't be a big hurdle to cross. I just want it looking half decent in a quick time frame. I know most people aim for quality, but with the inevitable full refinish coming in a year or so, I just want something half decent to hold up for now.

Last edited by roasted; 07-26-2013 at 09:54 PM.
roasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,368

That is a small area---first---how old is the finish? Is it a varnish or a hot wax finish?

I've actually done a room that size with a hand held belt sander---and a scraper---

Time? Depends on the finish on there now--wax is a pain to remove--

Water borne finish can be applied in one or two days---

Old 07-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
That is a small area---first---how old is the finish? Is it a varnish or a hot wax finish?

I've actually done a room that size with a hand held belt sander---and a scraper---

Time? Depends on the finish on there now--wax is a pain to remove--

Water borne finish can be applied in one or two days---
I have no idea, to be honest with you. This house was built in '58, we're the second owners, and have been here for 1.5 years. I wish I knew more but I just don't. That's why I'm hesitant to do any sort of spot-repair on certain areas, as I don't know what was used and I'm afraid to use something that'll change or yellow the color differently than what's already down.

My wife and I talked last night. She really couldn't express more how little she cared about the floor. She doesn't like the idea of me doing any degree of work to it now since we'll likely be doing a full refinish of all 3 rooms with hardwood flooring next summer.

That's all well and good, but I'm beginning to wonder how I can blend in these spots to make them not look like trash. I've got some 220 grit that I'm going to sand the areas lightly with and go from there.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
DIY staff

A suggestion? Rent a big floor buffer with a sanding screen--and a buffing pad--this will clean up all but the corners--and make the best of the existing finish----it's fast and relatively neat work.

Should look good enough until you can get the floors done all at once---Mike----
Old 07-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #5

Appreciate the response. I ended up using an orbital sander with 220 grit. It took most of the imperfections out quite nicely. I heard online that if you wet the wood's worn spots and it looks perfect with the rest of the finish, chances are a clear polyurethane was used. I'm going to do some more reading, but if that's the case, I'll just spot-fix some areas with polyurethane and call it a day.

My cousin just went into labor who's due on the same date as my wife, so my anxiety to get these finishing touches is in the red zone. Plus, now that I've unboxed the furniture and set it in the room, once we get all of that arranged and put down an area floor rug, a large portion of the floor won't be visible to begin with. That'll hold us over until next summer when we redo everything from start to finish. :D
Old 07-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
DIY staff

You have an exciting week or two ahead of you--best wishes for a healthy child and a happy wife----good luck to you---Mike-----
Old 07-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You have an exciting week or two ahead of you--best wishes for a healthy child and a happy wife----good luck to you---Mike-----
Appreciate it! I'm excited to get these last few home projects done so I can stop working and relax with the family for once. Since we moved in a year and a half ago, it's been nothing but coming home, changing clothes, and working until 11-12 at night. I think I can safely blame DIYchatroom for that as it empowered me with enough curiosity to do everything myself. :P
The Following User Says Thank You to roasted For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-27-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 05:24 AM   #8
registered

Rewards Points: 508

It depends on how many coats of poly you want applied.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

With a new baby coming I would not refinish the floors. especially with oil based poly. the fumes are strong!. Water based poly is faster drying and not smelly. but doesnt hold up as well as oil poly. in my opinion

What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to What have I done For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (07-29-2013)