Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
JPT

Share |
Question

How to Level subfloor?

I have a subfloor that is unlevel in one corner of the house, by at least 4". Need to know the best way to proceed.

My home had a foundation settling problem. This was fixed by hiring a foundation contractor who installed helical piers and raised the foundation up to the cement walls about 5 years ago. They did not level the house, because the drop was 5" in one corner of the house only, and they did not want to cause structual damage to the home by trying to lift it in that one portion.

They did level the basement floor by removing that portion that was unlevel and repouring that portion of the basement floor.

However, this left me with an uneven ceiling in one portion of the finished basement, and the living rooming above it, as well as the bedroom that is above the living room. The rest of the house is fine, however I have this sloop in this portion of the house only.

The foundation contractor suggested that I hire an carpenter to come in and place sister joists to level these floors or a general contractor to raise the house, which would take several weeks, because the house should not be raised quickly, because doing so would cause damage to the structure.

So what is the best way to proceed?

JPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

How to Level subfloor?

I am a little confused by your post. You said that the contractor "raised the foundation up to the cement walls". What exactly do you mean by that? In my house, the footers support the concrete walls around the house, and if you raised the footers, which is what it sounds like the contractor did, you would raise the concrete walls along with the footers.

From your post, it almost sounds like the footers settled up to five inches downward, leaving a gap of up to five inches between the footers and the walls. But from your description, the second floor of the house settled about five inches, suggesting that the entire house settled some five inches, and the contractor simply stopped the settlement by installing the helical piers. Perhaps you can describe in more detail exactly what the problem was, and exactly what the contractor did, and we can help you assess your options at this point.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #3

How to Level subfloor?

If I'm reading this correctly, the house has settled 5" on one corner. That means that windows and interior doors have been "adjusted" to compensate for that drop. Either that or windows don't open and doors don't close.

From experience, you need to bring the home back to level over several weeks. Otherwise you’re trying to modify/rebuild each floor/ceiling to correct for settling.

Regardless of the age of the home, doing a cosmetic fix on a two story structure is the wrong way to spend your money.

Keep in mind; this is just my 2˘. But is much easier to re-plaster/drywall a plumb and square building than to jury-rig the result of a foundation failure.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
JPT

How to Level subfloor?

[quote=Daniel Holzman;353358]I am a little confused by your post. You said that the contractor "raised the foundation up to the cement walls". What exactly do you mean by that?

That is correct, the foundation contractor raised the footers up to the cement walls. What happened is that the footers and concrete walls actually seperated. At one end of the house the footer and cement wall seperate a quarter inches from each other, and the other end it seperated a full two inches.

I watched the foundation contractor workers raise the footer up flush to the cement walls using their hydraulic lift system. The foundation contractor then raised the footer and the cement wall just one/half inch from end to end, to ensure that footers where actually supporting the concrete walls once again.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
JPT

How to Level subfloor?

I take it that you suggest that I should have the house leveled rather than the sister joust option, to take care of the windows and doors that do not work correctly? By the way, you are correct, the front door is not aligned correcly and there are some issues openning and closing the windows.