Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2008, 02:05 PM   #1

Share |

How to level basment floor and keep floor drain

We are remodeling our basement room by room. The basement had some leaks which I fixed by grading the outside and cleaning out the underground drainage system. The first 2 rooms I used dricore as the sub floor so if the basement leaks or floods the flooring will be protected. These rooms had flat floors.

Now I am to the main room which has a floor drain and a slope from the foundation wall to the drain of around 4”. How do I level this floor with keeping the floor drain? I cannot frame a floor because of the ceiling to floor height requirement of 7’. Unfinished it sits at 7’3”. Can I take 2X4 and cut them to match the slope of floor so the top of the 2x4 is level with the base of the wall. Or a ½” below and then put ½” ply on top. I don’t really like this plan and am looking for other options.

Thanks,

Ben

Bcoleman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:05 AM   #2
Be green & save green

Seems like you will need to build a fake floor using wood. Cut the wood from 3 1/2" to 0 you can use 2 X 4 or 4 X 4 and use 5/8" or 3/4" plywood on top. You can also use self leveling concrete but it will be very expensive. as far as the drain you might need to raise it up a bit.

mgsproperties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:23 AM   #3
HomeAdditionPlus.com

Yes, you will need to be a wood frame floor above the sloped concrete floor. It is difficult to do correctly and thus you may want to hire a professional contractor that knows how to do this.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 07-20-2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Link Removed from Signature
mjdonovan is offline   Reply With Quote