How To Layout Tile On The Diagonal - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 35

How to Layout tile on the diagonal

I want to tile a kitchen and dining area. What are first steps when doing a diagonal tile job. Some say start in corner, doorway, in the middle of room. Any suggestions? Thanks

Advertisement

EFTHIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 508

I like creativity, diagonal does look great and I think it is worth it.
Most recent one I did was for a entryway to the front door.
We ran a darker brown 6"x6" tile normal around perimeter, then a lighter tan coloured 6"x6" and then another 2"x3" border of a different colour, and then in the field run diagonal 12"x12"
The end result was awesome, was all due to the home owners choice and style, colours of the tile.

Only point here is, if you want to go diagonal, maybe add in a border along with it.
As far as setting the tile, just lay it out like any other tile.
I like to open the door to the room and see a full tile in a straight line.
Maybe adjust it left or right a few inches so you get a equal amount of tile on the edges.
Will still end up with a bunch of little triangle cuts along the edge, is why is twice the labour and extra material .... I still think it is worth it for the look.

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

you need to do a practice layout and see where you will have little slivers and try to adjust so you end up with bigger pieces and not those little 1 inch by 1 inch triangles everywhere.
or you can just pick a spot and go for it.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

I'd do what Danny recommended. Do a dry layout with your tiles to see where your cut edges will lay. Then adjust as necessary to minimize small sliver cuts.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

Pro tile setters usually use a chalk line to lay out a grid--typically four tiles ( about four square feet)

To figure out the grid size---you need two tiles and two grout lines---I lay down three tiles---

Space them for the desired grout line----then measure across two tiles to the third one---two tiles and two grout lines

With a diagonal layout you also need the measurement of the diagonal of the tile and one grout line---

This is the number you use to locate the start line if you want half tiles in a show area like a door way ---

Keep a damp sponge handy to wipe off your failed test lines---use hairspray to set the chalk on your final layout