Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #1

Share |

how to lay 3-strip boards so the ends don't look strange

The flooring I want to lay is 3-strip engineered flooting floor. The installation tips for single-strip boards describe how important it is to stagger the board lengths in a random manner, so that the ends don't line up or form an obvious pattern.

But 3-strip means that each board that I lay will actaully look like parallel 3 boards at the top layer. That means that, even if I randomly stagger the 3-strip boards (and even though the strips are random lengths within each full 3-strip board), each board will still have the appearance of its 3 strips ending at the same place, all over the floor area. I can not find pictures of this, and I have not found any online mention of this, but I imagine that this is just as ugly and awkward as if one was careless about laying single-strip flooring and caused many single-strip boards to end right in line with each other.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any info.

conradA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
J Calvin Construction

you are correct in what you are thinking. the fact of the matter is no matter how you install them, your "three strips" all end at the same spot. unfortunately, the only way around this is to buy single strips and stagger each joint.

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
remodeling pro

Sorry, but there is nothing to get rid of the 2 or 3 wide plank look of the butt joints. If you are flexible on the selection, look around at different makes and finishes. I have seen some colors and/or grain texture patterns that are not quite as conspicious. Same problem as double or triple wide vinly siding.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #4

Thank you for the responses. Now my question is, in your opinion, how bad does it look to have 3 strips always ending at the same spot?
conradA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engineered flooring, pattern, stagger, strip