Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
Caution! Girl working

Share |

How to keep the Harley out of the puddle?

hello
When I park my snow-covered car in the garage it leaves a big puddle between the car and the wall as the snow melts. I'm storing a friend's Harley for the winter and the tires will be sitting in standing water all season unless I can find a way to re-direct the water. Is there a rubber strip or something I can put on the floor between the car and the bike to keep the water from puddling under the bike, against the wall?

ADaniLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #2

I'll probably get laughed at for this, but I'd try a line of caulk around the bike.

angelatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
Caution! Girl working

I thought about that...but I don't think it would be high enough. At the wall, the water is about 1/4 inch or maybe a little more. it must be a dip in the floor there that lets the water pool against the wall. My friend recommended a piece of 1/2 round or something set to the floor with caulk. Do you think that would work?
Old 11-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #4

lay down a 2x6 or two and park the bike on that.
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
JOATMON

That standing water is not going to hirt the tires at all. If your worried about the kickstand....put a block of wood under it.....otherwise, don't stress over it.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #6

In my experience the piles of slush that accumulate under the wheel wells fall off and stay frozen on the garage floor. Just shovel them out. If your garage is warm enough to make them melt, kick them off before driving in.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
Caution! Girl working

I'd love to get the bike off the floor altogether but it weighs like 850 lbs. so lifting or even rolling it onto a block of wood would be, well, too much for little me! I was just worried that if the tires sit in water for, say, 24-hours every time it snowed they'd start rotting or something, but maybe I'm just overreacting. Wouldn't be the first time lol! It's such a beautiful bike...
Old 11-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
That standing water is not going to hirt the tires at all. If your worried about the kickstand....put a block of wood under it.....otherwise, don't stress over it.
I concur. However, if that doesn't cut it for you, and you don't have someone who can help you get the tires onto boards, buy an inexpensive garden hose, lay it in an appropriate size coil on the floor, cut it to length, lay a bead of caulk on the top edge, then flip it over, and lay it around the bike with the caulk down. You may even achieve close to the same results without the caulk. I would probably still be inclined to put something under the kick stand, just because...

And by the way, if you do decide to put it on blocks, make it two blocks; one longer one, probably a 2x8 that you would roll both tires onto, and a smaller one, probably cut off the end of the long piece, to put under the kick stand. Trying to get the tires onto two separate blocks would definitely increase the odds of something bad happening.

Last edited by DexterII; 11-08-2012 at 03:23 PM.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
I concur. However, if that doesn't cut it for you, and you don't have someone who can help you get the tires onto boards, buy an inexpensive garden hose, lay it in an appropriate size coil on the floor, cut it to length, lay a bead of caulk on the top edge, then flip it over, and lay it around the bike with the caulk down. You may even achieve close to the same results without the caulk. I would probably still be inclined to put something under the kick stand, just because...
That's a great idea. You might even be able to score a free hose from Freecycle .
angelatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADaniLion View Post
I'd love to get the bike off the floor altogether but it weighs like 850 lbs. so lifting or even rolling it onto a block of wood would be, well, too much for little me! I was just worried that if the tires sit in water for, say, 24-hours every time it snowed they'd start rotting or something, but maybe I'm just overreacting. Wouldn't be the first time lol! It's such a beautiful bike...
Ha, people do roll their bikes around by hand all the time you know, but I could understand being worried where it was someone else's.

How about rather than stop the water you sop it up? Surround the bike with a few towels, throw them in the drier once a week or so. Low-tech solution
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #11

Once again it's going to do 0 harm to the tires.
Your not worryed about the car for all these years, but your worryed abut tires on bike that are made of the exact same material.

Ever once see an one that has no garage to store there car in at night on blocks?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
Caution! Girl working

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Once again it's going to do 0 harm to the tires.
Your not worryed about the car for all these years, but your worryed abut tires on bike that are made of the exact same material.

Ever once see an one that has no garage to store there car in at night on blocks?
Hey there, now...I only worry because the bike tires would be wet over and over and over in exactly the same spot. Car tires are moved every day, and the water doesn't puddle under them anyway (it runs off into the bike lol!) And, yes, I am worried because it's not mine. I like these ideas - will try them and see which works best! THANK YOU as always!!!