Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

how to installing bamboo hardwood on old stairs?

ok so my side entrance stiars are roughly about 20 yeasr old or maybe 40??i'm not sure... they are a disaster regardless. Some treads are slightly cracked and some squeak. The treads are 2x8's with nosing not plywood but something else...i'm not exactly sure...the stuff is strong but it has taken a beating over many years.

I want to install bamboo hardwood over this but i just would like to know what i should keep in mind before I start this project. The treads are 30 inches and have two stringers left and right nothing in the middle. What I'm thinking of doing is adding extra support under the treads to stop the squeaking(what should I do use 2x4's or plywood?).

The treads are inside the stringers as they should be...but the thing is I'm pretty sure I need to get my new nosings inside there too??
I'm gonna cut the original nosings off the treads...

I have most of the tools need compressor-nailer, Adhesive, saw.I might need a rubber mallet i think.

So what should I keep in mind when tackling this project???....I have never installed hardwood before but I very confident that i can do it.

Thanks,
Limit54

Limit54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

is this outside? are you replacing with 2x material and will there be risers i hope?

Old 02-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
Insert catchy title here

I know you know, but be wary. Bamboo is soft - really soft. We have it in the living room and hallway.

A little giant ladder's hard plastic feet dented the floor permanently recently, just from getting up into the attic. They're beautiful, but make sure you want them.
AppleMac*Fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,088

Of course, bamboo is soft. It's not wood. It's grass.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
Insert catchy title here

In his title he said bamboo hardwood, thus me pointing it out...
AppleMac*Fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,088

Wouldn't bamboo hardwood be an oxymoron?
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #7

[quote=Limit54;406430]ok so my side entrance stiars are roughly about 20 yeasr old or maybe 40??i'm not sure... they are a disaster regardless. Some treads are slightly cracked and some squeak. The treads are 2x8's with nosing not plywood but something else...i'm not exactly sure...the stuff is strong but it has taken a beating over many years.

I want to install bamboo hardwood over this but i just would like to know what i should keep in mind before I start this project[quote]

For exterior stairs I would use treated 2x lumber or composite decking for durability. If the project is interior stairs then my question would be how you plan to finish each tread with bamboo without a bullnose.
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #8

ok to answer all your questions......

1.Stairs are inside
2.There are risers
3.Bamboo now comes in "laminate Bamboo finish" so yes I'm using the bamboo hardwood type to be correct. Now I think I might go with the laminate bamboo..it might be stronger?? If it is so soft then I don't think its very good for stairs.

4.I have the nosings and there is a way to do stairs without nosings. You can use that rubber or metal edging on the end of the tread to reduce slips and falls. That's not my cup of tea but it can be done.

Last edited by Limit54; 02-27-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #9

Thanks for the bull nose options. I bought a box of laminate flooring on clearance for $5 and plan on using them to repair 2 step treads entering the house from the garage. I have seen solid bamboo flooring in various length strips for flooring and while they may be challenging to refinish they did not seem to be "soft". I found some information that may clear this up:

"The hardness of bamboo flooring depends in large measure on the species of bamboo, and its age when harvested. Three years is generally considered to be the best minimum; some companies claim to use only five- or six-year-old culms, or sprouts. Flooring made from inferior species or younger bamboo dents and wears more readily. Good bamboo flooring products range from slightly lower, to significantly harder, than common hardwood flooring".
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:27 AM   #10

Here's my advice .... Don't call bamboo hardwood . It can be made hard by a process where they infuse finish into the pores , But its not cheap any more , SOOO Go Buy some real hardwood treads , Lumber liquidators has prefinish treads , Buy a stair scribe . Cut them in and be done , tacomahardwoodfloors.com
tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #11

I appreciate all the advice guys...but I still have no answers to my questions.

I want to install bamboo hardwood over this but i just would like to know what i should keep in mind before I start this project. The treads are 30 inches and have two stringers left and right nothing in the middle. What I'm thinking of doing is adding extra support under the treads to stop the squeaking(what should I do use 2x4's or plywood?).

The treads are inside the stringers as they should be...but the thing is I'm pretty sure I need to get my new nosings inside there too??
I'm gonna cut the original nosings off the treads...

I have most of the tools need compressor-nailer, Adhesive, saw.I might need a rubber mallet i think.

So what should I keep in mind when tackling this project???....I have never installed hardwood before but I very confident that i can do it.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #12

. what you should keep in mind is a very broad question, I think you are asking how to do it . Ok first do you have acces to underneath the stairs ? Second I don't think the treads are inside the stringers , MAYBE they are , But more likely the skirts are what you see on the diag along the sides , At any rate pull a riser and look , If they are indeed stringers and the treads are let in . Or cut into the side of the stringer , Or put on with bracket or nailers it doesn't matter .
What i would do is cut another stringer for the middle and Use construction adhesive to take up the gaps , 30" is a long way to span , But If you don't want to cut and install a middle stringer , what I would do to limit the squeaks is , Leave the existing treads in place and glue the bamboo to the existing treads this will ad strength , But I would also do a little mock up , Put a piece of wood the thickness of the bamboo on the bottom and second stringer and measure . if this adds up to more than 3/8th difference in the rise and makes the first step a neck breaker then you need to take the first tread off and put thinner wood on for the first tread . You can put a block to the floor in the middle of the thin tread to strengthen it ,same on the top , If you can't access underneath then you may be able to nail something across between the stringers ,or get some angle metal and use a screw gun and construction adhesive ,, what ever the case is 30 inches is a pretty long span ,
To get the squeaks out ? I suggest consruction adhesive and a screw gun ,

What is there for the existing riser ?
So the process I use is ,
1 .. cut all the existing stair nose off the the existing treads , Then start With the first riser from the floor and scribe it in to the top so the first tread will rest on it , Or darn close ,then use construction adhesive to glue the tread to the top of the riser and a few nails . Then cut the tread and set it on the top , then cut the next riser , scribe the top And set the second tread on , Etc
It woud help if you tell what material you are useing ?? like three and one fourth wide 3/4 thick prefinish bamboo flooring with stair nose . ?? or you have full stair tread ? Or what ? or seven inch wide click together engineered ? what are you using ? tacomahardwoodfloors.com
set the first coupleof tread and rise with a coup,le nails till you get the hange of this , you have a little lea way , after the first riser then set the nose in place and mock the rest of the flooring uo to fit . Then mardk and number th pieces and nail , If it doesn;t look right don't nail and glue it start over , But let me know what you are useing , this is difficult to cover all the possiblities with out know what you have for material , BAMBOO flooring is VERY BROAD , There are few different dimensions .

Last edited by tacomahardwood.; 03-02-2010 at 11:58 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #13

first of all that info was great..thanks

second of all, I'm using 1/2 inch bamboo nosing. I Think the actual nose section is 5/8 and the click/groove section is 1/2".

The flooring I haven't purchased yet...I'm not sure what to get laminate or bamboo.

The nosing are bamboo.

I do have access to the underneath.

I won't be using full treads..I didn't know I could do that and use my bamboo nosings? If that is possible let me know?

There isn't any skirts only two stringers risers and treads(treads into the stringers and shimmed...no plywood used.

I think these are just builder grade stairs because they are from my main floor down to the basement with a small landing to my side door.

I was thinking of making another stringer but i wasn't sure if that was right. What should I use for the stringer 2x8?

My method of putting in the flooring and nosing was to put the nosing on with construction adhesive and then cut my flooring to fit. Wouldn't it be better to dry run everything first because the flooring snaps together? Then put it down.

What Im asking is should I use nails to put the flooring down(wont it show in my floor?) or will construction adhesive be enough for high traffic stairs.

I was told to use the nail gun and go on a 45 degree angle so that the flooring will tighten up to each other.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #14

That narrows it a bit ,
You can't use a 45 degree angle nailer , WELL you could but for about one row , And that won't do you much good , Soo MORE questions
The nose sounds like it has a groove that the hardwood would tap[gently] into , Or is it click together ?
I need to know this .. Or I will be spending a lot of time trying to answere multiple installation techniques .
SOOO is it snap or a groove ? I'll say groove for now
Again Put the riser on BEFORE the nose or you won't have any nose hanging over ,
Usually stringers are 2x12 . But you will b surprised what they cut down to ,
If they are toungue and groove hard wood the way i do it is
Put on the riser , Set the nose ,Set all the pieces of hardwood till you get to next riser and rip in the last board , It should be about one quarter clearance to the old riser cause when you add the next riser it covers up the gap , THEN , Take it all apart , Glue nail and shim the rip flooring right next to the riser , You can use a finish nailer to blind nail into the toungue just like you would with a 45 % angle nailer [IF IT Would fit into the space] But it won't so don't go rent a 45% nailer ,Then glue then Tap the next row into the first row, The reason you shim the first row is so you don't beat it out of place , So on till you get to the nose then glue and force the nose tight ,Use one or two finish nails , And color putty will fill those , Have fun I do this all the time and if you let anything get crooked it will show cause the nose won't fit tight , thats why i use glue and not too many nails ,. You should be able to force the tread forward with a pry bar between the riser and the tread in the back , If not mock it up again throw those pieces to the side or what ever ,
Use good construction adhesive , And few nails , Then color putty the holes , If you get the nails into the toungue at 45% they won't show . If you mess a nail up Have a GOOD punch with a recess so it cups the nail head and doesn't slip off ,If you use snap laminate you will have to look for noses that go with that brand . If you use click laminate ,glue and enough nails to hold it till it dries is all you need , Any way sounds like you have tounge and groove noses , And laminate WON'T add any strenght to the tread , but Lmainate is harder than bamboo ,tacomahardwoodfloors.com

Last edited by tacomahardwood.; 03-03-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #15
msv
Hardwood pro

Home Depot sells solid bamboo stair treads(they have the outside edge rounded, like any other tread). They're not that expensive(under 30$ per one 48" tread). cut the existing tread (whatever it might be) flush with the raisers. install new tread on top with glue and nails. Install a thin raiser on top of existing. (something up to 1/4", just so you have a smooth surface that you can paint). That's it. pricewise, you shouldn't spend more than you would if you buy prefinished bamboo nosing and flooring.)
Measure the height of each raiser and check code requirements. i think all raisers should be within 3/8" size difference to pass code. and no more than 7 1/4" or 7 1/2" total height from tread to tread.