Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8
Share |
Default

how to install tiles on plywood?


I want to install tiles in my kitchen.
I removed the old tiles. But what do i use to install the new tiles?
What products (HD names) to do i need?
I was advised to (cheaper way):
-staple down wire mesh to the subfloor
-poar thinset and Let it dry and
-then use mortar to apply tiles

and/or
-prepare a mud bed
-install tiles with mortar

correct?


Last edited by Boca; 01-18-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Boca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
Tileguy
 
JazMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Troy, Michigan
Posts: 4,070
Default

how to install tiles on plywood?


A true mortar-mud job would be great, but it's not exactly something a novice is going to be able to do. The first method you described a called a scratch-coat, and it's JUNK!

You should be thinking to either use a CBU, (Cementitious Backer Unit), an uncoupling membrane such as Ditra or hire someone that is a licensed tilesetter. Where are you located?

Jaz

__________________
Tile 4 You LLC Troy, MI

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
Building and plumbing
 
USP45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: farmville, VA
Posts: 244
Default

how to install tiles on plywood?


Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
A true mortar-mud job would be great, but it's not exactly something a novice is going to be able to do. The first method you described a called a scratch-coat, and it's JUNK!

You should be thinking to either use a CBU, (Cementitious Backer Unit), an uncoupling membrane such as Ditra or hire someone that is a licensed tilesetter. Where are you located?

Jaz
Ditto and double ditto. First off the thinset adds weight to the floor between the joists without support. Using a cementiciouse board laid 90 degrees to the joists will add support. If you do thinset, you get cracked joints, if you use cement board, nice looking and lasting job
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:21 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8
Default

how to install tiles on plywood?


Quote:
Originally Posted by USP45 View Post
Ditto and double ditto. First off the thinset adds weight to the floor between the joists without support. Using a cementiciouse board laid 90 degrees to the joists will add support. If you do thinset, you get cracked joints, if you use cement board, nice looking and lasting job
So you recommend using cement board for the flooring?
And would you screwed into the sub floor or into the joist?

I prolly wouldn't do it myself, but if a tile guy came by i want to be informed.
Boca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Downeast Maine
Posts: 999
Default

how to install tiles on plywood?


You lay the CBU (cement board) in acrylic modified thinset, and then nail or screw down the CBU according to the nail pattern printed on the board (it's like every 12 inches or something). Tape and fill the joints with thinset and alkali resistant fiberglass tape. Then when it dries lay the tile over that with regular thinset (not modified).
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:10 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8
Default

how to install tiles on plywood?


God bless cement board.
Boca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
Tileguy
 
JazMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Troy, Michigan
Posts: 4,070
Default

how to install tiles on plywood?


Hi all,

It's the other way around on the thinsets. The thinset to install the CBU varies by manufacturer, but you can get away with unmodified. However you need to use modified thinset to install the tiles over all cement backer boards.

Jaz
__________________
Tile 4 You LLC Troy, MI

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
electrician / handyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: south jersey
Posts: 16
Default

how to install tiles on plywood?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Boca View Post
So you recommend using cement board for the flooring?
And would you screwed into the sub floor or into the joist?

I prolly wouldn't do it myself, but if a tile guy came by i want to be informed.
can this method be used outside

sethc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Chair mat from plywood and carpet tiles jbwaechter Flooring 3 08-20-2009 06:29 AM
How do you Lay Large Tiles over Plywood Subfloor? 1655graff Flooring 20 10-01-2007 05:28 PM
Shower Tiles Easily Pop Out - Bad Installation? kabowma0 Remodeling 6 04-23-2007 07:43 PM
Vinyl Tiles over pre-existing layers Thwiipp Flooring 1 09-05-2006 01:10 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.