Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #1

Share |

How to install carpet?

I need to have my ground floor re-carpeted. I went to Sears and they said they have experts who can come in and install my carpeting. Is that a good idea or should I just buy the carpet from them and look somewhere else for installation?There are sites like servicemagic.com, nilaam.com, angieslist.com and others where I can post an ad to get contractor. Does anyone have experience with this process? Thanks.
Sean

Last edited by sbannister; 09-23-2009 at 08:00 PM.
sbannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

How to install carpet?

Most but the largest flooring companies use independent contractors for carpet installation. There may be listings in the phone book and I would also check with neighbors and friends to see if they can make recommendations.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

How to install carpet?

If you are going to use an independent installer. Don't buy your carpet at Sears. Almost any small carpet store can beat their price. The highest prices are at places like Sears, Home Depot and Lowes.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #4

How to install carpet?

Unfortunately this is not the kind of area where you'd want to stop by your neighbour's house uninvited I tried the phone book but these guys seem pretty expensive. I tried servicemagic but they will not let me post ads and I have to pay for angieslist so I have decided to post ads on Nilaam (http://nilaam.com) and craigslist (http://craigslist.com). I'll see if this works out. I bought this new place and its kind of beaten up, so I need several things done....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Most but the largest flooring companies use independent contractors for carpet installation. There may be listings in the phone book and I would also check with neighbors and friends to see if they can make recommendations.
sbannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
Floor Guy

How to install carpet?

Carpet Stinks..Literally
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:04 PM   #6

How to install carpet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbannister View Post
Unfortunately this is not the kind of area where you'd want to stop by your neighbour's house uninvited I tried the phone book but these guys seem pretty expensive. I tried servicemagic but they will not let me post ads and I have to pay for angieslist so I have decided to post ads on Nilaam (http://nilaam.com) and craigslist (http://craigslist.com). I'll see if this works out. I bought this new place and its kind of beaten up, so I need several things done....
I have bought all my carpet through the home depot. The price is good and the quality is even better. They have a pretty big selection too. You can use their installers but I always found my own. However, I cant stand servicemagic or that Nilam. I have been using quozzy.com and I like it because I can read reviews too and not have to pay for them while I get bids in my account from multiple contractors. Good Luck.
glees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

How to install carpet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
If you are going to use an independent installer. Don't buy your carpet at Sears. Almost any small carpet store can beat their price. The highest prices are at places like Sears, Home Depot and Lowes.
Stretching floor coverings with sub-standard contractors that can do a whole house in a day for $40 as is currently being advertised. Try adding some real padding installation to your order though.

Scam artists. Cheap carpet.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

How to install carpet?

Whatever you do, don't go to Empire. Their installers bid, low bid gets the job. Quality is not cheap!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #9

How to install carpet?

Support your local floor covering specialty stores. These guys and gals want to be around for the entire 15 years or more the carpeting is installed in your home, and want you to be a return customer. They usually have the best installers, even if all subcontractors, and the quality will be apparent in the finished product.

The big chains don't care, hire the cheapest labor they can find, and offer the cheapest product they can muscle from the mills.

That being said, exceptions can occur. The carpet we recently removed from our home after 22 years of use was purchased from New York Carpet World - a long since bankrupted big chain - was still in great shape in most rooms. But their installers sucked! We had lived with a noticeable bad seam for the entire 22 years that no one else would even attempt to repair.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer

How to install carpet?

Many years ago New York Carpet World hired me. The first day I showed up, they tried to load a carpet that was delaminated(the backing was loose). When I questioned it, they said most customers were too dumb to complain. I just quit and left. That's the way the big boxes work, too.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #11

How to install carpet?

Home owner needs to get a couple waves out of the bedroom carpet. Can I pull it up and use a rented knee kicker to stretch it and re-lay it?
ignatius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #12

How to install carpet?

sears usually have good installers. they weed out hacks better than most. but if you go with an independent
installer,you you need to be careful. whene sears gets done there still there to be found. alot of installers wont be.
sears will honor there waranty. alot of installers wont. sears makes sure there installers have insurance that alot of
independent installers wont have. and i dont even work for sears but i know alot of there installers.
just tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #13

How to install carpet?

you can but be careful with that kicker, it can tear the carpet easily but it can tear up your knee quickly. good luck.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #14
Pro Flooring Installer

How to install carpet?

I'm surprised Sears still sells carpet in Oklahoma. They haven't in Missouri for years.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #15

How to install carpet?

Ignatius-----you can but becareful you can tear your carpet real easy.and you also tear up your knee real easy. Good luck an be safe.