How To Increase R-value Of Wood Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to increase R-value of wood floor

I'm installing some 1/2 prefinished wood flooring over a plywood subfloor.
It's an old house without much crawl space and there is no insulation between joists. Maybe sometime in the future, I can solve that issue. Right now, I just want to optimize the R-value of this retrofit.

I can't add a lot of thickness, so I'm looking for something affordable, thin, and with a decent R-value in addition to the felt or tar paper as a vapor barrier. One idea was 6 mil plastic. I've seen this product rated with an R-value of .87. Doubling that would give 1.74. Not bad. The question is whether it really has that R-value. Maybe it does in an application where it traps a lot of air like a greenhouse, but would it under a floor?

1/4 cork sounds like a good idea but the R-value is only .236

Any ideas would be appreciated

Advertisement

ArkRetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

The 1/4" cork is what I was going to recommend. I'm surprised the r-value is that low though. Using plastic beneath a wood floor isn't a great idea. There is a reason they make/sell/recommend/use a more expensive felt paper, rather than simply using 4 or 6 mil plastic. While the felt is a moisture barrier, it still allows the wood to breath. You'd probably never notice an issue with the plastic, but it's simply another layer that could cause an issue.

In the end, I think working on the floor side of things is way more trouble (cost) than it's worth for an outcome that will more than likely not be noticeable at all. Just install the floor over a felt paper and go down to the crawl space where you can make a real difference.

Advertisement

Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

The only way six mil plastic has an R value of .8 is if it's stretched over a 1" airspace. It's the air that has the R value, not the plastic.

Wood has an R value of 1 per inch. So if you put down 3/4" subfloor and 3/4" hardwood, you'll get over R1 from that.

Then buy rigid foam (R 3.8) and tack it to the bottom of the subfloor. It will make a huge difference.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote