Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #1

Share |

how important is it for moisture barrier to cover sides of floating floor?

I will be laying down an engineered floating (click-lock) floor, over an existing old hardwood floor, in a 13'x15' room which is over a 1st floor bedroom. All the instructions for laying moisture barrier (with or without underlayment) say to run it up the walls a few inches to form a "tub" effect, thus keeping any moisture from creeping into the sides of the floor. But what about in a doorway? The best I can imagine is to have it just barely cover the end of the boards just underneath a threshold transition.

Also, after the floor is laid I plan on drilling a hole for a recessed electrical outlet, but that will mean the moisture barrier will not be covering the sides of the floor where the outlet goes in.

Are these potential problems? Or is the theory, "run the moisture barrier up the walls wherever you can, but it doesn't have to be 100% perfect to be effective"?

Even though this is on a 2nd floor over a bedroom, I want to seal out the moisture very well because the new floor will be over radiant electric heating (just for a central area of the room -- the recessed outlet will NOT be near the heating elements).
conradA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #2

I'm confused conrad.

You said it's a first floor bedroom right, is the floor over a concrete slab or is it a wood subfloor. Also, is the floor above an un-insulated crawl space?

If this floor is on or above grade and isn't over a concrete slab you don't need the vapour barrier. Every manufacturer I deal with recommends vapour only in circumstances where the new floor will be installed below grade or on concrete.
rcuerrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradA View Post
Even though this is on a 2nd floor over a bedroom, I want to seal out the moisture very well because the new floor will be over radiant electric heating (just for a central area of the room -- the recessed outlet will NOT be near the heating elements).
Missed that part

Most floor covering manufacturers have the same pre-installation stipulations related to in-floor heating. They say that the system (heating) must be running 48 to 72 hours prior to installation. This helps dry out some of that moisture. Then, it must be turned off for length of the installation, and back on gradually over 72 hours so as not to "shock" the new floor.

I still don't see why you'd need the vapour barrier though.

Have fun with it
rcuerrier is offline   Reply With Quote