How To Get A Level Floor Out Of One That's Part Concrete And Part Wood - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
Always An Apprentice

Rewards Points: 10

How to get a level floor out of one that's part concrete and part wood

Hi, everybody. I'm a noob to this forum and have quite a few years worth of assisting in home improvement projects. In other words, I understand enough to make me dangerous, but when working with somebody that knows what they're doing, I'm great at following directions and a pretty good assistant.

Several years ago, my ex-husband and I built a new house around our 20X40 modular by: digging a footer that was just outside of both side walls, 6' in front of the front wall and 16' behind the back wall, resulting in a (basically) 42X42 house. When we split up (NO! NOT because of the remodel. ), we'd gotten this far:

-- finished outside (roof, walls, doors, windows, siding, soffit & facia installed)
-- old modular completely removed inside
-- completely insulated
-- master bath all but completed (finish trim, etc. not completed, but able to use all "facilities")
-- temporary kitchen set up
-- walls either studded out or studded & drywalled
-- enough semipermanent wiring to allow living in there safely

We were going to do as much of the work as possible -- he is a skilled woodworker, although it's not his profession -- as we could spare the time and money. But the marriage ended before we got very far.

I won't try to defend anything we did back then. Assistant to the Ex. Ex was In Charge. You understand. Anyway, his plan was to pour the slabs to an exact depth that would end up being level with the rest of the floor once the subflooring was installed. He got his friend, who finishes concrete for a living, to help. Turns out his friend, though a very nice person, isn't Mr. Details. We did NOT end up with the slabs at those exact depths. The slabs are higher than the subfloor and not anywhere near level; they're anywhere from a smidge to half an inch or so higher than the subfloor.

My part of the split included keeping the house, and a builder I know has told me he knows of no way to get the slabs and subfloor to the same height, and even if we COULD figure that out, putting laminate flooring over it won't work; that the laminate always cracks at the point where the two kinds of material meet.

I'd be thrilled to hear any of your thoughts and suggestions.

Advertisement

Last edited by Songbird; 01-22-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Songbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sorry about the split up Songbird.
I would agree with your builder about having cracks along the joint. you could grind down the high spots with a concrete grinder which could be rented at any tool rental store. You cold try posting this question over in the flooring section. There is a product that I have been hearing about, and haven't had the opportunity to work with it. Its called Ditra. that might control the cracking from the two types of surfaces.They wood have more input on this
Where in Pa. are you located? I Had some uncles build some developments up in Bucks county Pa. Near you? BOB

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
JJC
Pro

Rewards Points: 25

Ditra is a good product, but it will not do what you are asking it to do. The only known way is to have a soft joint separating both types of flooring.
JJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJC View Post
Ditra is a good product, but it will not do what you are asking it to do. The only known way is to have a soft joint separating both types of flooring.
When you say a soft joint, is this something like an expansion joint or flexible seem?? separating the floor covering. I also am interested on this type of repair. Thanks BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,224

You're going to have extensive preparations to do because of this;

"We did NOT end up with the slabs at those exact depths. The slabs are higher than the subfloor and not anywhere near level; they're anywhere from a smidge to half an inch or so higher than the subfloor. "

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:24 AM   #6
Always An Apprentice

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions, Bob, Jim and Jaz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
You could try posting this question over in the flooring section.
Hmmmm...... I thought that's what I did. Guess I have more reading to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
Where in Pa. are you located? I Had some uncles build some developments up in Bucks county Pa. Near you? BOB
No, not really near me. Maybe two or three hours away.

Advertisement

Last edited by Songbird; 01-23-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Songbird is offline   Reply With Quote