How To Fix Squeaks In Hardwood Over Concrete Slab - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

how to fix squeaks in hardwood over concrete slab

I have a hardwood floor on top of a concrete slab. I believe that it is a "floating" floar, and the pieces fit together in a tongue-n-groove fashion. There are several places in the floor that squeak. From what I can determine, there are simply air pockets underneath. I asked the flooring people to fix them, and they came out with a drill and filler (some sort of thick glue), drilled very small holes in the floor, filled them with the glue, thumbed some wood putty into the hole, and called it fixed. Amazing, most of the spots they fixed are still good, but some have reverted and a couple of new spots have come up. What is the best way to remedy these squeaks?

Thanks,
Kirk

Advertisement

swvajanyatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Wood Floor Guy

Rewards Points: 25

I hate to give you bad news, but it sounds like it was a "direct glue down" installation and not a floating install. If it was floated, the pin/needle and glue wouldn't have made any difference. That being said, one additional loose spots can be fixed in the same manner as the first ones, but, there's a good chance that more spots will develop. Lots of reasons why the loose/hollow spots can develop in a glue down installation.

Wood Floor Guy
www.woodfloorsforyou.com

Advertisement

Wood Floor Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #3

i realized a while ago that the floor would likely need either significant work or replacement, so its not such bad news, more of just confirmation. with that said, hearing the pops is driving me insane, so anything i can do to minimize the audio impact would be helpful. to be sure i'm clear, you are suggesting that the best method for eliminating the pops is to use the drill and glue? if so, what type of glue should i use to fill the air pocket? thanks again.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Still Learning

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
if so, what type of glue should i use to fill the air pocket?
Dritac makes a handy kit, as long as it's an engineered product. The article below is for direct gluedown installations.

Repair Gluedown Floors

HardwoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #5

great stuff. thanks so much!

Tags
squeaks hardwood concrete