Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to finish edges in loft, and other ??

Last summer, I put hardwood flooring in the lower level of the house. (5 1/4" red oak) I have some left over, and thought I'd put it in the loft, but I have a few specific questions. I've included pictures, to help with my not-always-perfect words.

I'm wondering what the correct sequence is for finishing the edges of the loft flooring, the trim and the railings?

swilliamsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,118

If I was going to do it I would remove the temporary treads and remove that left hand stringer and sheetrock. It was suppose to have a 2 X 4 attached to the wall first then the stringer gets attached to that so there's room to slide the sheetrock and a stair skirt in place.
You need to install the riser across the top step and make it run all the way from wall to wall. Then install a starter tread on the edge of the flooring on the second floor.
http://www.hardwoodstairtreads.com/b...ing_tread.html

Old 07-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks. I hadn't thought about the wall on that side. I wasn't planning on tackling the stairs myself. My carpentry skills are about the intermediate level, and I had a tough time with a set of three steps on the lower level. Can I use a spacer for now, behind the nosing, to leave room for a riser to be put in later?

I have another question about the posts for the railings on the right hand side of the loft - where the box of small flooring pieces is sitting. There's a beam beneath the loft, then the joists sit parallel to the stairs. I'm not certain how the framing contractor has things done under there, but I suspect there's a type of rim joist, running perpendicular to the stairs, that's been covered with drywall. Just in case, we're thinking about using 4X4 posts,notching them to overhang the edge and running them all the way down to the base of the beam.

Where the posts meet the loft, should they be put in first, and screwed into the subfloor/joists - then the flooring gets cut around the post? Or does the flooring go in first, with the post sitting on top?

I hope this makes sense. I'm not great with written descriptions! Please let me know if there's anything I can clarify!
swilliamsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,118

I know in my area notch post are not legal. The newel post gets mounted to the floor or the starting tread at the top and to the side of the stringer at the bottom.