Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #1

Share |

How to fill gaps in hardwood floors

I searched for this but saw a couple threads that weren't answered. I would like to refinish a couple of floors in bedrooms that are hardwood. Some of the boards have some gaps in them, up to 1/8 to 1/4 inch wide.
How to fill gaps in hardwood floors-100_2352.jpg

How to fill gaps in hardwood floors-100_2351.jpg

Is there something I can use to fill this gap and then sand the floors down and refinish them? Or is it a bad idea to fill these gaps? Thanks for any suggestions on this.

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Still Learning

If you have swings in interior relative humdity throughout the year filling the gaps will only be temporary. With dry air the hardwood will lose moisture(shrink) and vice versa with higher humidity. I have this issue all the time with my older pine floors. However if they were glued and nailed when installed the problem would be minimzed substantially.

HardwoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Wood Floor Guy

Dont do it! You'v got a beautiful old Doug Fir floor which will gap in the winter and tighted up a bit in the summer. Any filler you put in there will crack and look like hell in the summer. Just refinish it and enjoy the beauty of that old floor.

Wood Floor Guy
www.woodfloorsforyou.com
Wood Floor Guy is offline   Reply With Quote