How Easy Should Newly Laid Tile Come Up - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

how easy should newly laid tile come up

i thought i had a great bond on my floor but one the tiles i laid was crooked so i had to pull it up. i laid that tile a week and half ago and went to start tiling the rest of it today so i pulled it up. well it came off with not that much effort. just took a screw driver, hammered it in a bit and pried up and the tile came up in one piece. what wories me is there was no thinset on the back of the tile, it was all on the floor.

i laid the tile over a concrete basement floor. redguard was put over the concrete and then the thinset. i used versabond and applied 12X12 pocrelain tiles. i back buttered the tiles and set them into place within 10 minutes of spreading the thinset. i only work with 3 or 4 tiles at a time. the tiles ive picked up to check for coverage were actually very difficult to lift, it was like they were glued down so i thought i had great bond. i still have great bond to floor as the redgard is in tact and you can even see the grid patter from the back of the tile stuck to the thinset on the floor. however the tile is 90% free of thinset.

ive looked all over for answers. most common is that you let the thinset sit too long. but again i only work with what i can do in about 10-15 mins. another was that the concrete sucks the moisture out, but the redgard which is also a water proofer would rule that out. i also pressed the tiles into place and when i place them i place it right next to the existing tile and slide it away to make room for the grout. this assures my tile is level with the one next to it and also moves the thinset abit. plus when i checked the adhesion it seemed great.

im just very panicked over this. none of the tiles seem loose by walking on them and theres no way i could just pull them up by hand but im worried what will happen as time goes on.

any anwers or help would be so appreciated

Advertisement

classicaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

That's an odd one----what caused the tile to become crooked? Any possibility that someone stepped on it while it was setting?

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

it was my own stupidity, i didnt have any other tile on the opposite side of it to make sure it was perfectly straight so it matched on one end but slanted on the other end. and i didnt want to go down a slippery slope of getting more and more slanted as i continued.

if it wasnt for having to remove that tile i would have never thought anythign was wrong with the floor. everything else seems perfectly fine
classicaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

I think you will be fine---The thinset should have stuck to the tile---that's irritating.

Re-set the tile and grout---what else can you do?