Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How do you create an 'End Cut' for quarter round?

I've never installed quarter round before, but have borrowed a mitre saw and am getting the hang of it. I understand how to make the basic cuts. But there are several places where you can't make a cut and fit sections together because the area is too small or it's the end of a run or something. I didn't like the look of leaving a straight 90 degree end, or a straight 45 degrees from top to bottom. So then I found out you're supposed to create an 'end cut', but I don't know how to do that. Instructions on the net aren't helping, I don't understand them and/or the pictures are unclear. In an old book I have, they are saying I'm supposed to sand a rounded edge by hand. I could do that, but it would take a long time and might not turn out well.

So if somebody can explain how exactly to make these 'end cuts' I would appreciate it.

1. ||||||||||||
2. /|||||||||||
3. \|||||||||||
4. (|||||||||||

Above are supposed to be illustrated examples of an end-of-run section of quarter round. 1 is ugly, 2 doesn't look right, 3 is totally wrong. 4 is the closest to what you're supposed to do, only it should not curve back at the bottom. I want a quarter-circle.

Last edited by malfunction; 07-11-2010 at 07:10 PM.
malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Handyman

Typically, for speed you would cut a 22.5 deg angle to end a run if it comes to a casing for example. Some situations call for a cut which defines the corner better..like the edge of a stair. You are basically making a 45 deg angle on the main run and capping with a smaller portion with the opposite 45..much like you would do if you were going around a corner.

I do the same with baseboard.classy finish. The piece you have to install will be VERY small so you have to glue it, but the result is much more appealing.

canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #3

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoyizit For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (07-11-2010)
Old 07-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
Typically, for speed you would cut a 22.5 deg angle to end a run if it comes to a casing for example. Some situations call for a cut which defines the corner better..like the edge of a stair. You are basically making a 45 deg angle on the main run and capping with a smaller portion with the opposite 45..much like you would do if you were going around a corner.

I do the same with baseboard.classy finish. The piece you have to install will be VERY small so you have to glue it, but the result is much more appealing.
I read your instructions but it still took me a while to figure out what you were saying and learn how to do it. The reply from the bot was surprisingly helpful as well; it led me to a helpful video. Now I'm finished; I made something like 20 round edges. I cut 45 degrees and glued a small 45 degree cap perpendicularly onto those cuts so it gets rounded. I think they look ok. They look better than if I had just left them at 45 degrees or straight. I wasn't even going to install quarter round because I've only ever seen hack jobs before and I thought that's normal. I didn't want my house to look like that.
malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote