Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #1

Share |

How do I space 1" hex mosaic sheets

For my bathroom floor I am trying to lay out my hex floor tile and getting the spacing between the sheets perfect is difficult. The 1/8" spacers are notably wider than they should so I have been trying to do it by eye. I can't see being able to do this fast once I put the thinset down.

Any tips?

housegsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Tileguy

Hi,

Spacers are useless, especially for mosaics since you have little choice what the gap should be. You eye it, shouldn't be hard.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #3

The key for the occasional tiler is to do only a few sheets at a time until your confidence level rises. If you mix a whole bucket of thinset and then race to get as many sheets down as you can before it sets you're going to have a bad result.

Mix enough thinset to do two or three sheets at the most. Put them down. Adjust them. Let them set. Then do the next pair or trio. You won't have to worry about the other ones moving, or cleaning up excess thinset, etc. You can focus on placement and getting it right.

Spacers are useless for sheets not only because they might not match the necessary space, but also because no sheet is perfect. They all vary a little bit, and if you hew to the spacers you'll find that it creates other problems down stream. Do it by eye, take your time, and relax.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #4

Thanks Jaz, just wanted to be sure this is the way I should be doing it.

While I've got your attention, is the 3/16 x 5/32 V notch trowel I have going to work for this application?
Old 03-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:
is the 3/16 x 5/32 V notch trowel I have going to work for this application?
That might be too much thinset for those tiles. I don't know how thick your tiles are for one thing. It also depends on the angle you hold the trowel and how you mixed the thinset. I might use a 3/16x1/4 V or maybe a 1/8" square.

BTW, I disagree with the idea of mixing only enough thinset for 2-3 sheets. Thinset should have at least a 3 hour pot life, maybe more.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #6

Tile is 3/16" thick plus the mesh. I'll see how it goes and put more angle to the trowel if it squeezes through.

Pot life for the versabond says 4 hours.