Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2007, 11:00 PM   #1

Share |

How Do I Repair an Improperly Installed Shower Floor

I was in the process of preparing to re-grouting the walls and floor of a large shower. While working on the shower floor it became apparent that there were loose tiles near the door. I pulled up the first tile and the back of the tile was completely clean, absolutely nothing on the back of the tile. The thinset was smooth, no notch marks. I took out 8 or 10 tiles with the same result. The surface of the floor varies from very soft to very hard. Softer at the top and hard at the concrete below. The floor looks like concrete backer board as it is moderately porous. When I scrape it smooth the original thinset that filled the porosity remains.

There are a couple of loose tiles on the side wall as well. The wall tiles appear to have been properly installed. The seams in the concrete backer board on the wall were not taped or sealed in any way.

From what I understand the original tile work was sub-standard from the beginning.

This house is built on a slab that has major foundation problems. Fortunately this bathroom is relatively stable. There aren't any obvious signs of leakage around the pan. A leak test on the plumbing was performed prior to foundation repair and was negative.

I'm planning on removing and replacing all of the floor tile and only replacing the loose wall tiles. The real problem is what to do to the floor surface to prepare it for the new tile. I have no idea how to clean it up and prepare it for the new tile.

Any ideas as to how I should clean up the old poor quality thinset? What should I do to prepare for the new tile?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

MartinGale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
Tileguy

Hi Martin,

Sounds like you have a good idea what to do. Remove all the tiles and scrape the floor smooth, the ridges I mean. Allow everything to dry out if it's been in use recently. It may be OK to re-use the old tiles? I might not if I had to remove thinset or grout from them. Mix some modified thinset mortar and tile away. Let everything dry at least over night, then grout.

Hopefully that isn't backer board you're seeing on the floor...that would not be a good thing if it was.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. The shower is bone dry as it hasn't been used in at least 5 years.

When you say "modified thinset" exactly what does modified mean?

After I remove the soft top layer of thinset just below the tiles, do I need to remove the harder layer?

I know this sounds redundant, but I really don't want to do this but one time. I'm getting old enough that I'm hoping that my home repairs outlive me!

Thanks
MartinGale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
Tileguy

Modified thinset have latex or polymers in it and you mix it with water. It'll say so on the bag. White modified should cost from $15 and up, depending on quality. If you buy regular thinset, you can make it "modified" by mixing with additive instead. Do not buy cheap stuff. Remove anything that is loose. Hopefully the floor is pitched correctly.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote