Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #1

Share |

how do I nail the last few rows of hardwood?

hey guys,

I've laid a little hardwood before and I've always just brad nailed the last few rows that the nailer wouldn't get. Is there a tool out there for the last few rows or is brad nailing the way to go ? I'm using 18 guage brads and they aren't going through the 3/4" hickory floor very well.
the carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Tileguy

I use something like this; http://www.google.com/imgres?q=finis...9&tx=74&ty=105

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Yep, me too.

Hold the finish nailer at an angle for a row or two nailing were the tongue meets the board (the same place the flooring nailer places the cleat/staple).

Eventually the trim nailer won't fit either. I usually use liquid nails and face nail (right through the board) and fill with wood filler.

Armstrong makes a good filler, they're waxy-like crayons you'll find at the big-box flooring aisle.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #4

I agree with the others. You generally need to top nail and glue the last few rows and putty the nail holes. If it is prefinished, sometimes we will just glue the last couple rows especially if it is a harder wood than can slightly split the wood with top nails. Or we will put the last row of nails far enough back that the baseboard can hide them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #5

I use this. http://www.tools4flooring.com/powern...ic-nailer.html

It works great. You can get as close as 2 1/2 inches from the wall. The last board you top shoot under the base.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote