Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #1

Share |

How do I lay linoleum tiles on pier and beam floor. This is in my kitchen.

How do I lay linolium tiles on a pier and beam floor. Have ceramic tiles now and they have cracked and just need to be taken up.

sjcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #2

Depends on what's under the tile. If there's tile board it has to also be removed. You need to get down to the subfloor.
Once that happens you go over the whole floor with 1/4 underlayment grade plywood fastening every 4" on the edges, and 6 to 8" in the field. I use a narrow crown pneumatic staple gun to attach it. Fast and leaves small enough holes they do not need to be filled.
Next you have to go over the seams and any flaws with floor levler.
Any linolium product will show any flaws it's laid over.

Please do not use any peel and stick type tiles!

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #3

The purpose for doing this is to put down the tile that I like and I don't have to pay for labor. Why won't peel and stick tiles work??????
Old 08-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

They are junk. They don't last very long.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #5

The color does not go all the way through.
Near imposible to lay in a straight line because they try to stick to fast and there's no moving them once they hit the floor.
They shrink over time and gaps show.
There will always be at least one that just will not stick.

It's just as easy to lay real quality 12 X 12" tiles with adhesive and not have all the draw backs.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcoop
The purpose for doing this is to put down the tile that I like and I don't have to pay for labor. Why won't peel and stick tiles work??????
You can do P&S if you want or any floor covering for that matter. Take the tile cbu if any and get down to the plywood. Add 1/2" B/C sanded ply to composite for hight then lay your P&S. Not everyone can tile.

This post seams like good cop bad cop?.. Lol
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #7

You guys are honest that's for sure. Okay notices all you are located up north. I am located in Texas, San Antonio to be exact. Would it not help if more adhisive was put on back of peal and stick tiles would that make them work better?? I really don't want to go this route but then would it be better to lay a sheet of linolium in the kitchen. Then that would require someone to come in and measure the kitchen and also cost of labor?
Old 09-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #8

what is tile cbu????
Old 09-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #9

Quote:
what is tile cbu????
Sorry... Well meant to say tile and then cbu, which is cement board like hardi backer.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #10

Quote:
You guys are honest that's for sure. Okay notices all you are located up north. I am located in Texas, San Antonio to be exact. Would it not help if more adhisive was put on back of peal and stick tiles would that make them work better?? I really don't want to go this route but then would it be better to lay a sheet of linolium in the kitchen. Then that would require someone to come in and measure the kitchen and also cost of labor?
Well the advantage you have is the warm weather, P&S loves the floor to be warm not cold because the glue acts to heat that's why you you really need a heat gun to lay them down.

Measure the room vertical and horizontal

http://www.flooringcalc.com/
Old 09-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #11

Not sure why anyone would have to come measure it. You do have a tape measure, right?
Sheet linolium comes in 12' wide, so if you room is narrower then that you only need one measurement to know how much to buy. You would have to rent a floor roller a razer knife and small hand roller to press down the edges, and a toothed trowl to spread out the glue.
There even sell linolium that does not even need glue.
About how big is this room?

And no, adding glue to the back of P&S will do nothing but make a mess.
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
rusty baker (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #12

Okay room is 12' x 15'. When using your handy dandy room estimate it is roughly $2300.00. That is why #1 want to do it myself and #2 vinyl tiles are way less expensive. Ccan invest in the heat gun. Not a problem there.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
Pro Flooring Installer

I can understand the need to do it cheap. As long as you understand, you'll be doing it over again in a year or two.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Okay room is 12' x 15'. When using your handy dandy room estimate it is roughly $2300.00. That is why #1 want to do it myself and #2 vinyl tiles are way less expensive. Ccan invest in the heat gun. Not a problem there.
I'm confused on that coast and how you got it?
I did a few apartments with that size in a kitchen in HD Armstrong 18x18 P&S and it came out to like 400 bucks
Old 09-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #15
Bombastic Idiot

jet said it, once you gat down to sub floor and nice smooth clean underlayment, you can lay any floor you want, its your house. We are talking about real linoleum, right, not vinyl? Peel and stick has the same number of pros and cons as plain tiles in its general price range. It can be frustrating to lay at first, the glue is aggressive and can grab and hold before you have it in place. Hold it as vertical as possible with edge on line and tilt it down. Once you get a nice square corner of 3 tiles out in the middle of the floor you hold tile vertical with its corner in corner and edge along layed tiles edge and tilt down, watching for any over lap of lowering tile on edge of layed tile. ( I've written some confusing sentences B4, I'll add that one to the list.) You do the same with tile layed in mastic, but the mastic drys slower and yo can wiggle a layed tile around some if its out of line. Spreading mastic is not hard either, use notched trowel specified and spread it in graceful swoops and circles. But plan your job, spread small working area so you don't track it all over or trowel yourself into a corner.With P&S you got all these real slippery pieces of paper all over, keep them corralled or you'll slip on one, fall down and bust some part of yourself. A problem with any tile is seams between them.Water can get in there.
Sheet or roll linoleum has no seam in it, but only comes in 6'7" widths so kitchen wider than that will have 1 or more seam, but not seams all over. Keep seam as short as possible, it may run across your floor depending on length of kitchen. It easy to lay if you don't have a lot of corners to cut around.You can set it in mastic then run floor roller over it working from center out. If there is no seam, you can let it lay with no adhesive, which used to be real common, renters owned linoleum and carried it with them. the only adhesives for it back then were nasty black petroleum based products.You cut and lay it out, allowing for 1/4" gap all around, roll over it, let it settle for a few days, maybe roll some more, especially edges, trim if needed, then tack it around edges, cover tacks with base shoe, or just clamp it under base shoe. caulk edges if you want. Stash away some precut rolls of linoleum and change pattern and color at the mearest whim. There are trim pieces made for free edges or at door ways, your gonna need some no matter what floor you use.
Tiles or sheet are gonna show any imperfections from below, mastic can even some of them out, but there are linoleum panels that you can lay over just about any thing, even...ceramic tile. You might have to patch and fill badly broken or missing tile. The flooring is bonded to stiff backer and it snaps and clicks together over thin foam pad like laminate flooring. common size is about 3'X1'. The "snap click", as is true of laminate flooring, isn't as easy as they make it sound but its not terribly difficult.
Ya know, in some parts of the world they still make floors from a mixture of mud, straw, and cow dung, it drys rock hard. Sounds a lot simpler, if you got enough cows.

notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote