Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #1

Share |

How do I know where to snap my chalk line for tiling?

When I get ready to tile my basement how do I go about marking the line in the center of the room to start tiling.

I assume I need to mark the line the length of the room as opposed to the width? Is that right?

Also, (ok, this is really a dumb one) but how do I know when I hold the string that it is straight all the way to the other end, before I snap the line?

(Have patience with me guys, I am almost done.......... )

Thanks for all your great help and advice.

Just one more question........., I want to lay my tiles in a brick type pattern. Is the rule when laying the next row, putting it half way.
This doesn't make sense, does it. What I mean, the grout line will run half way with the next tile lying beside it.........oh god, this makes no sense.

I will have to send a drawing of what I am thinking.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy mummy View Post
When I get ready to tile my basement how do I go about marking the line in the center of the room to start tiling.

I assume I need to mark the line the length of the room as opposed to the width? Is that right?

Also, (ok, this is really a dumb one) but how do I know when I hold the string that it is straight all the way to the other end, before I snap the line?

(Have patience with me guys, I am almost done.......... )

Thanks for all your great help and advice.

Just one more question........., I want to lay my tiles in a brick type pattern. Is the rule when laying the next row, putting it half way.
This doesn't make sense, does it. What I mean, the grout line will run half way with the next tile lying beside it.........oh god, this makes no sense.

I will have to send a drawing of what I am thinking.
I will assume that your basement is not a square or an even rectangle, not many are. To find the center you need to measure both length and width and make your best estimate as to the center of each measurement. Then mark that measurement at each end of the room, stretch out your chalk line and once you have it held at each end, snap the line. If the chalk line is pulled tight, it has no choice but to be straight. Repeat the above for the other dimension and you will now have a big cross on your florr - where they intersect will be the center of your room.

As to your layout pattern, yes you set the next row centered over the two tiles in the row before it - just go look at a brick house if you're still not sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DecksEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

I have never been a fan of starting in the exact center of the room.
Instead, I like to find to largest single wall and dry fit starting from there.
Why? Because I never want to end a row with a little sliver of a cut.
Example: If your room is 10' wide and you're using 12" tiles (minus grout lines), it would be simple. 10 full tiles, 5 each side of the center.
But if your room is 8.5' wide, now you'd have 4 full tiles and then a 3" cut against the wall. That's not acceptable to me. I'd rather find a happy medium where I could have the largest possible tile in each row.
Using the same example of 8.5', if you started with a single tile bridging the center line, you'd end up with a 6" cut on each end. That's better to me than a 3" cut on both sides.

Bottom line is don't worry about finding the center of the room just to figure where to start tiling. I prefer to dry fit using a large cross. This way, you can see where each row will end up. Adjust your starting point to make sure you don't have a really small cut on any wall. Sometimes it's unavoidable but most of the time, you can adjust to make it work for you.

One more thing, after you lay your chalk lines, spray some hairspray on them. This will keep them from smearing or fading without affecting your tile job!

angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:51 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

One more thing, after you lay your chalk lines, spray some hairspray on them. This will keep them from smearing or fading without affecting your tile job!

Great tip and I also like the idea about not worrying too much about finding the exact center for starting. I wish this thread was posted about 2 weeks ago, would have saved me a bunch of cutting and cussing about smearing the chalk line!
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #5

Angus nailed it...follow his lead.

Depending on the room, I have started in "the opposite corner of entry" and worked out from there. The reason being it's better to enter the room and view a full tile than a sliver. If your eye is drawn to the sliver...it just looks out of balance.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #6

Thanks for all the great advice!

Angus, what a great idea to go for a dry fit. I assume that means place your tiles down and check and see where you will start?

Thanks for the hairspray tip.

I was also wondering about those tile spacers that you put in so that they will be evenly spaced?
After I lay my first tile, do I then place them at all the corners, (2 at each corner) and then lay the next tile, or is it done differently?

Thanks all you wonderful people. With all your great help I am almost there.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #7

One more question.

I want to lay my tiles in a brickwork pattern but I don't want it centered over the previous tile like bricks on a house.

I want it off centre. Only one third of the way instead of half way.

Would this look ok, or should I just stick with brickwork pattern?
Old 02-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Quote:
Angus, what a great idea to go for a dry fit. I assume that means place your tiles down and check and see where you will start?
Yep, that's it. Use yours spacers to get an exact idea of how each row will end. You may have to start a row with a cut tile.

Quote:
I was also wondering about those tile spacers that you put in so that they will be evenly spaced?
After I lay my first tile, do I then place them at all the corners, (2 at each corner) and then lay the next tile, or is it done differently?
Set your first tile and then the next. Now add the spacer. Tiles can be adjusted when you first put them down. I suggest using Tavy spacers. They are sold at Lowes. Very DIY friendly. Perhaps get a small bag of regular spacers too for those few times when a Tavy is too big. 1/8" is my favorite to use for flooring:
http://www.tavytools.com/spacer.html

Quote:
One more question.

I want to lay my tiles in a brickwork pattern but I don't want it centered over the previous tile like bricks on a house.

I want it off centre. Only one third of the way instead of half way.

Would this look ok, or should I just stick with brickwork pattern?
I'd stick with the brick pattern. I just did a quick rendering and I think it looks funny....or maybe it was just my lack of drawing skills
Attached Images

angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #9

Angus you are the best!
Thanks so much for explaining things so clearly.

I just took a look at those tile spacers and they seem really easy to use.

I do agree with you, that the off centre brickwork pattern looks funny.
I did see it once and seemed interesting, but I think I will stick with the regular brickwork. (unless of course, I change my mind by then and go with some other pattern.....you know us women, we have been known to change our minds now and then........)
Old 02-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #10

Hey YM...

Look at the Dal-Tile site if you haven't already to see many different patterns....http://daltileproducts.com/tile_patterns.cfm. They have a lot of ideas....some practical some not so much.... They also provide a PDF of the same.