Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #1

Share |

How do I attach the 15# roofing felt to the subfloor?

Background: I am remodeling my bathroom. I have taken up all the "floors" which were there (4 of them), removed the old subfloor (planks), sistered the joists to make it more level and installed a 3/4" OSB subfloor.

I now will place the 15# felt for the vapor barrier over the new subfloor. A couple of questions:

1. How do I secure the felt? I will be placing a 1/2" plywood over the felt, then polymer-modified mortar, then a cement backerboard (for eventual tile setting).

2. I am replacing the tub and have sistered those joists and installed the subfloor. Do I install the felt and then the tub on top of that OR felt, the 1/2"plywood then the tub? If I do the former, the tub bottom will be about 1 1/4" below the final floor (1/2" plywood then the tile on the floor).

Thanks for any help!!
rncopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't see the necessity of the felt. I have not seen this method before nor can I find anything about an interior installation over wood framing requiring a vapor barrier in the 2008 TCNA handbook.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't see the necessity of the felt. I have not seen this method before nor can I find anything about an interior installation over wood framing requiring a vapor barrier in the 2008 TCNA handbook.
Everyone I have spoken to (and in my research), a vapor barrier was recommended above the subfloor for a bathroom (and also over the studs on the tub walls before the cement backerboard - I will be tileing the walls of the tub).

Are you saying this is not recommended (it may not be "required").
Old 06-23-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Oh, this is a bathroom....

What do I recommend?

Floor:
Your layer of 3/4" T&G
Layer of 5/8" ply
Thinset
Ditra
Thinset
Tile
Grout: Mapei Opticolor, Laticrete SpectraLOCK or TEC AccuColor XT

Walls in tub surround:
1/2" Hardi (or similar CBU)
Thinset
Kerdi
Thinset
Tile
Grout: Mapei Opticolor, Laticrete SpectraLOCK or TEC AccuColor XT

Remaining walls:
DensArmor

I believe each of the grout manufacturers listed sell color-coordinated caulk too (for use in plane-change loactions, like corners or where the floor meets the wall or around the tub).
The appropriate thinset needs to be used in each location. There will be 2 kinds used on the floor application.
Personally, I'd take it even a bit further in a bathroom and Kerdi strip the Ditra seams and where the floor meets the wall. Now, you have a completely waterproofed/mold resistant bathroom.

Now do some reading on this:
http://www.schluter.com/5372.aspx
http://www.schluter.com/1324.aspx

Since you're tiling around a tub, no worries about a shower floor.

Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
Tileguy

Nowhere in any of the rule books I'm aware of does anyone recommend roofing felt in the floor assembly for a tile installation.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Nowhere in any of the rule books I'm aware of does anyone recommend roofing felt in the floor assembly for a tile installation.
From my research, it is not because of the tile installation. It is because it is a bathroom and the increased moisture inherent. So, the tile installation is a moot point. And almost every DIY website I have gone to speak of a "vapor barrier" above the subfloor for bathrooms. (this site included).

When I tore up the original floor, it also had the "vapor barrier" above the subfloor (it was black and I am guessing it was also roofing felt).
Old 06-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

OK, well I'd believe either Bud (who has been doing this a lot longer than myself) or the actual tiling handbook (which I've gone through in detail) that governs how to install tile over what you read at other DIY sites.

I've given you my recommendations for a great, waterproof and mold resistant installation. You wanna start using unnecessary items, go right ahead.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #8
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
I'm with Bud on this.

...No where is such an application practiced in the building industry with tile flooring...
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
Tileguy

Cooper,

The only floor method requiring a cleavage membrane is the "mud" method. You will not find a requirement for felt paper sandwiched between a subfloor in a CBU thinset installation. Someone has that detail mixed up with a barrier over wall studs.

I like using Ditra and Kerdi whenever posible.....great products.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote