Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,291
Rewards Points: 1,030
Question

How difficult is it to cut a big (flange) hole in brittle marble tile?


I am just asking this question here because, even though I will not be laying my tiles myself, my tile setter is currently overseas and inaccessible yet I am designing the floor tile pattern.

I am using 12" marble tile for the floor. My dilemma is whether to design the pattern so that I have two tiles with cut out semicircles meet around the flange or to have one whole tile with a full circle inside of it go all the way encircling the flange.

I would prefer to be able to do the latter (single tile with a large hole), however, given the material and size, I am not sure if that is possible. I think that the former is certainly possible but from the aesthetic perspective, I would like my pattern to involve one large tile around the flange.

I have heard that marble is really brittle and making fancy cuts is hard.

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Utica, NY
Posts: 529
Rewards Points: 520
Default

How difficult is it to cut a big (flange) hole in brittle marble tile?


Cutting it out of two is easier but one is possible.

framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to framer52 For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (04-08-2013), oh'mike (04-09-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,291
Rewards Points: 1,030
Default

How difficult is it to cut a big (flange) hole in brittle marble tile?


Thanks. BONUS QUESTION: What tool can you use to make circular cuts in tile? Can you use a jigsaw with a special blade?
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 288
Rewards Points: 250
Default

How difficult is it to cut a big (flange) hole in brittle marble tile?


This might work.
http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece...kit-68116.html
__________________
Being human is the result of heredity.
Being humane is a matter of choice.
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,518
Rewards Points: 4,152
Default

How difficult is it to cut a big (flange) hole in brittle marble tile?


Got a picture of this flange. Without a picture were all just guessing what it is your trying to really do.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,291
Rewards Points: 1,030
Default

How difficult is it to cut a big (flange) hole in brittle marble tile?


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Got a picture of this flange. Without a picture were all just guessing what it is your trying to really do.
really, a picture? how hard is it to visualize a circle on the floor? a perfect, round circle. no other variables involved.

it's not like one side of the circle is skewed. it's just a collection of points equally distanced from the center.

just .... a circle, Joe
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,518
Rewards Points: 4,152
Default

How difficult is it to cut a big (flange) hole in brittle marble tile?


Ok, 1" circle, 2", 10" circle?
Guess your ok with a bunch of usless guesses.
Totaly differant tools needed for differant sized circles.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
Member
 
r0ckstarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SE Texas
Posts: 1,283
Rewards Points: 876
Default

How difficult is it to cut a big (flange) hole in brittle marble tile?


Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
I am just asking this question here because, even though I will not be laying my tiles myself, my tile setter is currently overseas and inaccessible yet I am designing the floor tile pattern.

I am using 12" marble tile for the floor. My dilemma is whether to design the pattern so that I have two tiles with cut out semicircles meet around the flange or to have one whole tile with a full circle inside of it go all the way encircling the flange.

I would prefer to be able to do the latter (single tile with a large hole), however, given the material and size, I am not sure if that is possible. I think that the former is certainly possible but from the aesthetic perspective, I would like my pattern to involve one large tile around the flange.

I have heard that marble is really brittle and making fancy cuts is hard.
Got a picture of what you're trying to do?
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 261
Rewards Points: 252
Default

How difficult is it to cut a big (flange) hole in brittle marble tile?


I would use a diamond hole saw , but they get expensive the larger the hole.
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #10
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,103
Rewards Points: 2,848
Default

How difficult is it to cut a big (flange) hole in brittle marble tile?


Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
Thanks. BONUS QUESTION: What tool can you use to make circular cuts in tile? Can you use a jigsaw with a special blade?
For the toilet hole---

A 4 1/2" angle grinder with a diamond blade is what most setters use---

Sometimes I'll set the tile into a flat pan with enough water to cover the tile--
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 309
Rewards Points: 250
Default

How difficult is it to cut a big (flange) hole in brittle marble tile?


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
For the toilet hole---

A 4 1/2" angle grinder with a diamond blade is what most setters use---

Sometimes I'll set the tile into a flat pan with enough water to cover the tile--
Do you pretty much just cut a square section out or can you get a circle shape with that?
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 288
Rewards Points: 250
Default

How difficult is it to cut a big (flange) hole in brittle marble tile?


amakarevic:
joecaption's question was better than my response. The size of the hole will certainly determine the method and tools needed for cutting your marble tile. I took the liberty of making an assumption as to what you want to do. Also, diamond hole saws are great for pros but for a one shot use a bit expensive.

oldhouseguy:
You can cut a circle with an angle grinder. It won't be perfect but any imperfection will be hidden by the toilet. Suggest you practice on a tile or portion of a tile you intend to discard.
__________________
Being human is the result of heredity.
Being humane is a matter of choice.
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #13
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,103
Rewards Points: 2,848
Default

How difficult is it to cut a big (flange) hole in brittle marble tile?


Retired guy is rift----no problem cutting a large circle with the diamond grinder----

Marble is very soft----the grinder will cut that easily.

__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
marble tiles, tile


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travertine Tile Help MikeinTexas Flooring 1 09-07-2011 11:43 AM
Sealing Marble Tile - When to do it... usas12gthr Tiling, ceramics, marble 3 08-10-2011 10:37 PM
Can I tile on a shower flange? JakAHearts Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 7 08-30-2010 09:00 AM
Patch a hole in the bathroom tile sw41 Flooring 1 12-07-2008 01:57 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.