How Can I Make This Slab Into My Floor? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

how can i make this slab into my floor?

I pulled up carpets to prep for wood flooring and thought I should look into making the slab into the floor before getting started. I doubt the slab is insulated but it doesn't get that cold here in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Can it be as simple as filling the cracks (one eighth in) renting a grinder, and sealing. I,d like to do this myself but I really don't know what turning slab into floor entails. I'll try to post pics, any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
how can i make this slab into my floor?-img_0507-small-.jpg   how can i make this slab into my floor?-img_0511-small-.jpg   how can i make this slab into my floor?-img_0512-small-.jpg  

Advertisement

trailmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:51 AM   #2

anyone?

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2008, 07:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000
Cool

Doesn't look in bad shape actually, seen a lot worse. I wouldn't worry about the crack - that is not only normal but can be easily fixed. Two things you can look into: grinding and re-surfacing...

Grinding is, IMO overkill. You'll hire someone (not a DIY process) to bring in their 250lb concrete grinder, who'll polish your concrete using diamond pads, through 4-5 grits, to finally give you a mirror-like finish. Oh, and he'll leave dust in every nook and cranny that you'll still be finding six months from now. You'll have a floor surface you find in office buildings and/or shoppping centers.

Re-surfacing is IMO a better option. May or may not involve light grinding but nowhere near what would be required in the paragraph above. No resurfacing or overlaying is the ticket. Application of a 1/8" layer of polymer-based concrete that can be stenciled, coloured and tinted to your choice. Smooth. Again not a DIY project because it takes special tools but it'll take a day or so and give you a uniform surface. Your problem may only be what texture or colour to give it...

Look into the concrete overlay option.... Elitecrete or Increte both are multinationals with several trained pros in your area. Will run you around $5 per sq ft, but my figures are probably off, as I'm diametrically at the opposite end of the continent from you, but that's my take on it.

These guys would love this type of project because that's exactly the kind of project the product is meant for. Endless possibilities!

But if you're going to cover it anyway, even this may be too much...if it's already true, you may get away with a good foam underlay and a floating floor on top of that...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

Last edited by ccarlisle; 08-01-2008 at 07:31 AM.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:43 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

i'd expect that crk's from late control jnt cutting so its not a big concern to me,,, before you can do anything to enhance the conc, all that junk on it's gotta be removed - 7" grinder, diamond turbo cup wheel, dustmuzzle, & wet/dry vac - not even a day's work from what your pic shows.

most guys who're grinding professionally have decent vacs but this job's too small OR high in price IF you decide that's how to proceed,,, they need 408-440v 3-ph power so you'd also rent a generator in their price.

have no experience w/increte for o'lay work but they do have a nice bldg in fl & that's all i've heard good about 'em from other pro's,,, eC's built up the largest network of licensed installers & has great distributor support,,, doesn't mean you can't find a weak link in the chain, tho.

the only special tool i can think of's the cup wheel,,, ooops, that & what's in the installer's head & memory.
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Translation please?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #6

Thanks for your responses. I'm waiting on some quotes for the re-surfacing, but I'm not optimistic since construction costs are absurd here in the "bay area". Daily rental prices on the big grinders are steep as well. In the meantime I bought a diamond cup head for my 7in grinder so I'll give that a go since I've got more time than money.
Carlisle, what do you mean by "dust muzzle"? I have a powered respirator if thats what you mean, or is this some attachment for the grinder?
Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

I don't see much if any vertical movement so this shouln't be too much trouble to fix.

What I typically do is I fill the crack with an epoxy rated for concrete repair. You may have to top off as the epoxy settles into the crack. I sometimes groove out the crack with an angle grinder if it's very wide then fill with sand then fill the last 1" or so with epoxy.

We then take an angle grinder and smooth out the epoxy so it's almost invisible.

The builder or owner then finishes the floor as they wish.

I've actually seen people use the cracks as part of a design for a stained floor. They'll sand down the surface if needed and stain it. I've seen pretty cool designs where people use the crack as tree branches, vines, rock cracks, etc.

Hope this helps.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:49 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

A "Dustmuzzle" is an attachable dust containment system that you put onto certain hand-held stone grinders to take away dust before it gets into the air...that's what I call it but 'yesitsconcrete' may have his own definition.

A concrete "grind" will cost - there's no doubt about it...a days work for 2 guys with expensive and heavy equipment...you may be looking at a $grand.

But I was specifically talking about the concrete overlay guys, who would just put a new 1/8" layer down, not necessarily grind...that's also about $4-5 per sq ft but makes less mess. They would take care of the crack for you no problem.

Anyway good luck. Tell us how you made out...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Interesting thread.... sign of the times that slab cracks are part of the norm. sikadur products ... epoxy for crack and surface sealers...
problems i see are the cracks and rough area at sliding door. May be more, but pic is one directional. Try a razor scraper and an hour in an area.. fox tail duster and slightly damp rag over test area... wet rag on cleaned area...if you like it... sikadur is your answer.. I really don't know about the crack and the tree branch look.... If I walked in... it would look like a epoxy filled crack to me... but art is in the eye of the beholder...

You may need some chems or to grind if old glue residue is deep in slab.

If you decide on some other floor covering.... please epoxy the cracks... sikadur epoxy can make the crack stronger than the slab... be sure you get the crack under your walls.... great place for termites to enter as they will by pass your perimeter treatment.

Advertisement

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote