Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #1

Share |

How can I know if my kitchen sheet vinyl floor has an asbestos problem?

Having given up on any kind of elaborate kitchen remodeling, I am considering new flooring for my kitchen. I estimate, based on the harvest gold appliances ( ), that the last time the kitchen was updated was between 1975 and 1980, when the put cheap plastic laminate refacing on the cabinets, and the flooring is sheet vinyl of that vintage (picture this: http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress...4houston1b.jpg

...only in shades of yellow and gold.

So having scaled back my kitchen plans to the do-it-yourself cabinet reface job I've been working on for 4 years, new countertop and sink, and new floor, I've been looking at either laminate or the new vinyl plank flooring. I'm leaning towards vinyl, as Mr. Hackwriter tends to pour coffee and leave the drips on the floor, ignore water that spills on the floor when he fills the ice trays, and we have two cats who have that lovely habit of puking pretty much daily. So I need something that's impervious to squalor, and vinyl is probably the best bet.

So here's the question: Do I have to be worried about asbestos with this floor and/or its adhesive? Do I remove this sheet vinyl that's curling up at the edges under the cabinets and next to the door? Or can I leave it down, cut away the curled sections and apply some kind of leveler? How can I get this thing ready to be hidden away forever by something prettier?

hackwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

The only way to be sure if it has asbestos is to have it tested.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Tileguy

You can bet that your sheet vinyl floor that was made in the '70's or even well into the '80's has some asbestos in the backing. However that does not necessarily create a problem. You may not have to remove it, (although that would be best), depending on your new choice and the condition of that beauty you now have.

You forgot to mention what is under the floor. Is it a slab or a wooden substrate? That will determine how to remove it. Leaving your old "rotogravure" vinyl may cause the new vinyl to dent. Believe it or not, that floor has a thin layer of cushion between the layers;

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #4

It is definitely wood substrate, as it is in the kitchen which is the 2nd floor at the back of the house, since the house is on a hill. Am I better off with a laminate then? Or should I put something like 1/4" plywood over the existing sheet and then apply the vinyl plank?
hackwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Put 1/4" underlayment grade plywood down and cover it with whatever you like.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote