How Bad Is This??? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

How Bad Is This???

So I am about to lay down a new hard wood floor and I notice in the closet that the subfloor is rotting away.

In an attempt to determine where this water is coming from I go up to the attic right above where I found the leak and notice water damage in the ceiling. I can push my finger through the plywood sheathing.

Additionally I found this little gem and can't determine which type of pest this is

I have done everything from jack up floor joists and sister new ones to running electrical but I need some advice as to how to make sure I take care of this problem in it's entirety. I know the roof sheathing needs to be replaced and also the subfloor below, but he water must be traveling down somehow and I was wondering what else might need to be fixed. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Last edited by whorneff310; 10-15-2014 at 03:42 PM.
whorneff310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,790

How Bad Is This???

You may try looking further up the roof inline with that rafter, it could be coming in up there and traveling down.

The nest is just a dirt dobber, a wasp looking insect, it won't hurt anything unless you grab it. Just knock the nest down, but beware there may be spiders inside. Dirt dobbers eat spiders.

Advertisement

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
whorneff310 (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #3

How Bad Is This???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
You may try looking further up the roof inline with that rafter, it could be coming in up there and traveling down.

The nest is just a dirt dobber, a wasp looking insect, it won't hurt anything unless you grab it. Just knock the nest down, but beware there may be spiders inside. Dirt dobbers eat spiders.
Thanks, much appreciated. Is there anything I should be aware of when I go to remove the shingles and sheathing and replace them? I'm hoping to shorten the learning curve on this one in regards to potential mistakes.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 568

How Bad Is This???

Hard to give specific info with no location in your profile.
In a snow area most areas require Storm and Ice shield at least 3' from the lower edge of the roof to help prevent ice dams.
There should be soffit and ridge vents.
Any insulation that got wet needs to be replaced.
Google "insulation zone map" to see how much insulation should have been up there.
Sure looks like you already have some fungus or mold issues, it needs to be treated.
whorneff310 (10-16-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 11:48 PM   #5

How Bad Is This???

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Hard to give specific info with no location in your profile.
In a snow area most areas require Storm and Ice shield at least 3' from the lower edge of the roof to help prevent ice dams.
There should be soffit and ridge vents.
Any insulation that got wet needs to be replaced.
Google "insulation zone map" to see how much insulation should have been up there.
Sure looks like you already have some fungus or mold issues, it needs to be treated.

Hi Joe I've done a bunch more research this week and am going to replace this bad part of the roof myself. I live in NJ and I'm sure a lot of snow is coming my way. I understand that I need to tear out the old shingles, the rooted plywood, and roofing felt. The part of the roof I am going to repair is the corner part that buts up to the second story of the house. I assume I should install some aluminum flashing in the corner along with storm and ice shield correct? Also as far as the roofing felt goes. I'll have to cut it where I install the new plywood. When I install the new roofing felt I understand how to overlap each seem from top to bottom. But how about left to right? Should the new piece of felt on the right go under the left existing one or vice versa?

Also about that mold and fungus. It's an unfinished attic with no insulation on the ceiling, only the floor. Any suggestions for how to address this? Thanks again
Old 10-18-2014, 12:38 AM   #6
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,790

How Bad Is This???

Before you do any repairs you need to stop the leak. While you are at it you might need to check that rafter, it looks like it may have some rot also. Take your pocket knife and see if you can stick the blade in the wood very far, you will know if it is rotten or not.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-18-2014)
Old 10-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 568

How Bad Is This???

Still need that picture of the roof.
If that roof comes up against a wall you need step flashing not rolled flashing.
The vertical part of the step flashing runs up behind the siding, the horizontal part lays on top of the shingle as it's being installed.
Only needs to be nail on the wall, not where it sits on the shingle.
There should have been a gap between the siding and the roofing leaving the step flashing slightly exposed, 1" is the common gap.
whorneff310 (10-18-2014)
Old 10-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #8

How Bad Is This???

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Still need that picture of the roof.
If that roof comes up against a wall you need step flashing not rolled flashing.
The vertical part of the step flashing runs up behind the siding, the horizontal part lays on top of the shingle as it's being installed.
Only needs to be nail on the wall, not where it sits on the shingle.
There should have been a gap between the siding and the roofing leaving the step flashing slightly exposed, 1" is the common gap.
Hi Joe I just went up on the roof. Turns out the gutter was angled down with the edge wedged in between 2 shingles. I've also included a better pic of the damage. The thing I'm confused about is that another part of the roof overlaps the damaged part. If you look where the gutter is in the roof pic, that corresponds to to the second stud from the left in the attic pic. And theres still another bay off camera to the left. I'm a little confused as to how that complicates the repair.

Roof:

Attic:
Old 10-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 852

How Bad Is This???

yea houses with roof valleys like that are always trouble. i would flash everything

Advertisement

federer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to federer For This Useful Post:
whorneff310 (10-18-2014)