Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2008, 01:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

hot water pipe burst *pics*

Hi everyone

I am looking for advice. A week ago our hot water pipe under the kitchen sink burst. We live in a small condo and it flooded the kitchen, living room, part of the bedroom and bathroom. There was so much water it flooded the suite below us and cascaded like a waterfall in the parkade. We called a restoration company and they put a dehumidifier and fans and put the heat as high as it would go for 3 days. Then the dehumidifier and fans for another 7 days. The carpet was soaked and they didnt pull it? It seems dry now but how would I know if the underlay is dry? The carpet has bad stains now and they say they will shampoo it and it will come out, but they have nothing to say about the underlay. What is the right proceedure in this case? Should I get another company to come and give us there opinion?

thanks

kitchen/living room with hot water

Bedroom and kitchen wet

carpet "dry" with stains

verena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

How/what made it burst???

The carpet is GARBAGE as is the underlayment. Both need to be removed, the sub floor needs to be checked for damage, and replaced if needed. OSB if wet, falls apart and loses it structural support. Plywood is better but still might need to be replaced.

At a MINIMUM, both the carpet and carpet underlayment need to be thrown out and replaced. The sub floor needs to be inspected.

Last edited by JackOfAllTrades; 03-03-2008 at 04:02 AM.
JackOfAllTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,090

Verena,

Is your insurance company involved in this? You said "YOU" called the restoration company. I imagine you called yourself to get things going so not to waste too much time?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:08 PM   #4

yes we called the restoration company to save time. There was water everywhere. Our insurance doesnt do anything in this case as all damaged items are original to the building they go under strata insurance. This is where the fustration is because strata is the "customer" not me, thus my views are nothing to them.

I figured the carpet has to go but they insist its fine? It just doenst make sense to me!!
Old 03-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #5

And I just found out today from the plumber who was here that the water pressure in the building is too high and probably has a shot pressure reducing valve. This is why my pipe burst.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by verena View Post
And I just found out today from the plumber who was here that the water pressure in the building is too high and probably has a shot pressure reducing valve. This is why my pipe burst.

How many condo's in this building?

is the underlayment wood or concrete?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:08 PM   #7

I think 56 units. The building is a wood structure, except obviously the ground floor which has a parkade below it.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:41 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Who is responsible for maintaining the water as it enters the building? (hoa)

Did you get a written statement from the plumber that the water pressure was high?

I would pull up a section of the carpet were there was water and see the condition of the wood floor.

redline is offline   Reply With Quote