Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #1

Share |

Hi. Newbie with sagging floors

A couple of years ago we bought a century home. It's a two story country house that had some work done to it. I shouldn't complain. It has 200 Amp and copper plumbing, I'm told. Plus all the windows were upgraded and are super easy to clean. My husband has worked tirelessly on clearing the ugly Manitoba Maples.

Anyway, little by little I want to change a few things. We've already bought a new gas furnace, had foam insulation blown in the crawl spaces, had pipes wrapped in insulation, installed a new 1000 gallon septic tank, and are in the process of replacing roof gutters and channeling them into the cistern in the cellar. The house came with no outside taps - go figure. I've started several flower beds and also a vegetable garden. Of course, they have to be watered and I don't want to use the water from the well. That's why we're connecting the cistern etc. These last two summers, I watered with a watering can that I filled from the kitchen sink. It took me approximately 2 hours to water all the beds. I did this daily during dry periods. This year, I'll want a hose. The property measures 200' x 230' so you see the problem.

The previous owners had not put any gutters on the porch so a lot of the wood is rotting due to the constant water dripping on them. I could go on. Well, we're having it fixed.

None of the floors are level but I notice it most of all upstairs. I read all the conversation about joists and stuff. All of it over my head. I think when we get to that point of addressing the floors, I'd want all the pine floors ripped out and saved, if possible. I'd like to reuse them after the floors are straightened. I might add that this house is covered with carpet. I hate carpet, especially when I don't know what's under it. Carpet is dirty no matter how much you vacuum. I even shampoo them but I still hate them and I am always stuffed up. I think it's the carpets.

Here is my question: what if we tear up the carpet and the floor boards and if we find that everything is in order and nothing is half broken, could we use that same insulation foam, cover the entire floor, slice off the excess in order to level the floor, then install subfloor, then the pine boards. Could that work? It would kill 2 birds with one stone - level the floor and soundproof it.
Erika Conn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums!

I'll move your questions to "Flooring"....

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #3
Stay-at-home GC

How far out of level are they?

Are they sagging in the middle of the rooms or do both sides of the house slope toward the center walls?

Just a couple of things we'll need to know to determine if this is just old joist sagging or if there's a deeper structural issue.

If you don't have a level, sometimes a marble will do the trick (but not on carpet).

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote