Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Help with wavy floors!?

I live in a 100 year old house with very wavy floors on the first (ground) floor. There is a bit of slope in the kitchen, living room, and hallway connecting the two. In the worst areas, there might be a gradual change of roughly 2" across 10 feet, from the one side of my living room to the front exterior wall. The high point is directly over a brick column in the basement and the low point is on the front exterior wall. The beam is approx. a 6x8 wooden beam with visible bend in it in the basement and joists run perpendicular to the direction of the slope.

I have owned the house for about 5 years and I don't believe much, if any, additional drop of the front exterior wall has happened, though I think the front porch (near that wall) has had some sinking in that time (or I'm just noticing it more now).

The house has plank subfloors and very thin (~3/8" thick solid oak flooring on top, almost as a veneer). I would like to replace the flooring with new hardwood or laminate, but I really want to address this slope first, if only to make it less pronounced.

I had a structural engineer check out the situation about a year ago and he said everything looks structurally ok in the basement and with the beam. He recommended putting a few lally posts in certain spots in the basement, but said it isn't anything to worry about. He did say that trying to jack up the beam and joists too much could cause the beam to crack, so that could be tricky.

Can you possibly make some suggestions on how I can reduce this slope? So far, I have been mulling over a few options:

1. Getting a contractor to place jack posts and slowly raise the front wall to at least reduce the drop (though not sure what that would cost or involve - any idea?), or

2. Trying to remove the subfloor section by section, shimming the joists, and putting down new plywood subfloors, if only in the worst sections.

I am a pretty capable DIYer and I think I would be fully capable of doing a decent job with the #2 suggestion, but I'm not sure it is the best solution. Again, I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

BUJ514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,150

Help with wavy floors!?

Any old house I've ever worked on had under sized floor joist for the span, floor joist set to far apart.
Without being there to see it not sure anyone here is going to come up with a cure all fix.

Since you do not mind the work and your not againt removing the floor to fix it makes it easyer to fix it right.
Once the subfloors out one way to fix it may be to add some footings and adding more piers (not lolly coloums) Then sistering wider floor joist that are installed crown up and level, adding more is there spaced to far apart.
Then installing a double up beam in the center of the span so there is no more sagging or bounce under the floor.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote