Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #1

Share |

Help on tool selection for leveling concrete slab

Hi, I am redoing my bathroom and the the concrete slab is very uneven, about 3/4" higher in a 2x2ft section of the floor.

The room is small about 5x6'. I need to remove the extra height in the one corner to level out the floor so it can be tiled. The previous owners put in 1x1" tiles so they wouldnt have to deal with it. I plan on using SLC after to fill in minor dips and cracks but I dont want to put a 1" coat of SLC on top because then it will raise the whole floor above the hallway floor and I will have to redo the toilet flange thats embedded in concrete.

What tool can I use to remove the excess concrete in that area. The concrete is about 30 years old give or take 3 years. Will a concrete surfacing grinder take that much out? Is there a better tool to remove it? Maybe an angle grinder with a diamond wheel?

Thanks
John
Wohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #2

a concrete cup stone on a grinder might be a good start, but they are messy/dusty.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
a concrete cup stone on a grinder might be a good start, but they are messy/dusty.
Thanks,
As it is im coughing up blue chunks from the blue grout from the tile removal.

I see they have ones with a shopvac attachment to contain the dust. I assume that they would remove about 1/8" - 1/4" a pass? Im planning on renting since Im not going to justify 350-400 for a small job.
Wohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:03 AM   #4

Home depot has a grinder with a concrete cutting wheel , and a vacume hook up , I have used it , It seems the difficulty would be in a corner ,since it is a round wheel .... tacomahardwoodfloors.com
tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote