Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Help! Tiling over tile in bathroom

I'm a first time tiler with some questions about laying tile over a tile bathroom floor. It's a small bathroom approx 30sq ft of 4x4 white tile, ceramic I think. I was going to rip the old tile up and start from scratch but it's laid in a thick bed of mud and since the old tile is rock solid I'm just going to use it as the subfloor.
Questions:
1. Do I need to roughen the surface of the old tile? I've read a belt or oscillating sander will work, not sure what type of sandpaper. Is this true and necessary?
2. Should I place a waterproof membrane between the old and new tiles? If so is a liquid or rollout under-lament preferred? Specific brands would helpful.
3. What type of thinset? Does this depend on if a waterproof membrane is necessary? I'll be shopping at HD or Lowes so any brands you recommend that I can find easily would be a big help.

Thanks for the help, I can provide more info if necessary.

Seth M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 26

Quote:
1. Do I need to roughen the surface of the old tile? I've read a belt or oscillating sander will work, not sure what type of sandpaper. Is this true and necessary?
Yup! Ruin it as best you can. A silicon-carbide abrasive sand paper would be best and easiest if you can find it. Otherwise aluminum-oxide sandpaper will work. Use about a 60 or 80 grit.

Quote:
2. Should I place a waterproof membrane between the old and new tiles? If so is a liquid or rollout under-lament preferred? Specific brands would helpful.
Why?

Quote:
3. What type of thinset? Does this depend on if a waterproof membrane is necessary? I'll be shopping at HD or Lowes so any brands you recommend that I can find easily would be a big help.
This will require a quality modified thinset. Something better than the entry-level products they sell. If your scuffing of the old tile is successful (no shiny glaze remaining) Home Depots Versabond should work okay for you.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Thanks for the reply. Another question: what size notched trowel will I need to lay the new tile? It's a 12x12 travertine mosaic (9 pieces of approx 4" per piece on each tile plus 1/8" joints)
Seth M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 26

Typically travertine is smooth on the backside but thicker than ceramic tile. Therefore a 1/4" X 1/4" X 1/4" should work. Test it and see.