Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
GOTRDUN

Share |

help! tile over stained and sealed concrete

Have been trying to find someone w/ firsthand knowledge of how to prep an indoor concrete floor, for tile, that has been stained and sealed. Will hard sanding be enough? or should I take 1/32-1/16" off the floor with a grinder?
Existing floor scratches easily and hard to maintain. Beware.
Have heard of using different materials in place of thinset which only hardens versus having to dry....Flex Bond mortar w/acrylic admix.?

gotrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
Tileguy

The recommended manner to remove sealer from sealed concrete in preparation for tile installation is to mechanically remove the sealer.

Shotblast.
Sandblast.
Grind.

As far as the adhesive comment.......I don't think you have a realistic understanding of what to do there. Relying on "I've heard this" and "I've heard that" usually doesn't result in a satisfactory job.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
GOTRDUN

Thanks Bud

I usually learn from reading and visiting with acquaintances I know well and trust, but there does not appear to be volumes of info on the remedial actions necessary to deal with this.

I have test driven a Blastrac 10" diamond grinder @ HD and was impressed with the results. 95% sure that's the route I'm taking.....but I have learned ( by mistakes ) not to get into to big a hurry in unfamiliar territory.

After griding, and placing a few drops of water that successfully absorb into the slab, I will be satisfied.

Sound good to you Bud?
gotrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
Tileguy

If you can get a Blastrac in there and it is cost-effective I'd say go for it. I assume this is a main floor location and not a basement? That thing probably weighs-in at 1800 pounds or so.

EDCO makes a floor grinder for the tool rental market. You don't ride the one I have in mind, it's a walk-behind but does a good job.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote