Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2007, 04:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

HELP! Screwed up sealing bathroom floor

Tiled bathroom floor. Looks great. Used a light grout, the color was called Canvas. It was supposed to be a medium beige, but actually turned out quite light. But we like it.

It's been a week since grouted, and was putting sealer on today by brushing the grout lines with an artist brush. Had to leave, so I left the cup of sealer sitting on the floor and came back two hours later to resume. Sealer had eaten through plastic cup and seeped into several long grout lines. There was about 3/4 of a cup of sealer in the cup, so that's a lot that seeped in. The places where it seeped are very dark. REAL dark. Everywhere else that I just brushed sealer on looks just like the grout did before sealing. Light. I was hoping as it dried it would get lighter, but it's been about 6 hours and no change. I have the dehumidifier going in there. I tried blowing with a hairdryer.

The sealer says it is "a penetrating siloxane water repellent. For brick, ceramic tile, clay tile, concrete and grout lines. Intererior and exterior use. A transparent film to seal out water, stain and dirt." I don't know if we're allowed to say product names on here, so I've given the description.

Is there any chance this will lighten up? Or if it was going to, would it have done so by now?

If it doesn't lighten, what should I do? Scrape the grout out in the dark spots and redo? There's about 8 linear feet of grout lines that are dark.
And how do you get grout out?

plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
JJC
Pro

Plum,
3/4 cup of sealer is a lot of sealer. Since that is a hefty amount, if it dries, it will take some time to happen. The sealer probably has penetrated into the thinset mortar under the tiles. I assume the tiles were set with thinset. If they were set with a mastic or premixed thinset then it probably take longer to dryout. After 24 HRs, if not dry then call the manufacturer and ask the tech. reps. for advice. It is their formula and they are the only ones that know how it will behave.
Jim

JJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:32 PM   #3

Thanks Jim. There is cement backerboard thinsetted onto wood floor. Then the tiles were put down with thinset. It's now been almost 9 hours and no change in color. Had dehumidifier on for several hours, had fan on it.

I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. How hard is it to scrape the grout out? These are 18" tiles with 1/4" spacing. Is there a special tool to scrape it out with? And how deep do you have to scrape out? We still have some grout left in the bag, so we could mix up some new and put it in. I'm just wondering how hard this job would be.
plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
JJC
Pro

Home Depot or Lowes sell what is called a grout saw. Should cost about 7 to 9 dollars. Remove the grout down at least 2/3 of the depth. Vac well. Damp sponge the old grout and apply the new grout. Clean with as little water as possible. Let cure and check color.
Jim
JJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:03 AM   #5
Tile and Paint contractor

and supervise your sealer this time