Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Help please I have no idea what Im doing!

Ok I am renting to own a house from my aunt and in front of the kitchen sink the floor is very soft and we have to keep a thick piece of wood over it so we dont fall in while doing the dishes! It had a water leak for awhile before we moved in and she didnt have the money to fix it and really we dont either! But we have to fix it before winter and I want to attempt to do it myself with help from a family member. I know we will have to replace the cabinet also be cause of the water damage and mold but I really need advice on how about to fix my floor and if I will have to replace the whole floor or just that one area? We have two little kids and not much money so can anyone give me some advice please Im in a pickle bad!

clovergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

you will need to first remove the sink drain line and disconnect the pluming lines. Be sure to turn off the water first. Remove the base cabinet. The bottom of the cabinet can be easily replaced with a new piece of plywood. cut out the area of the flooring and sub-flooring that is affected by the water damage. Cut along the joists. To replace you can nail 2X4 next to joist to provide nailing for the replacement plywood.

Cost -- $ 25-50

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
Cut along the joists...
To expand on this suggestion a bit, cut along the center of the joists at the perimeter of the damaged area, so both the old and new sub flooring can be supported by the joists.

If you don't a a circular saw (and a nail cutting blade) that allows you to do this, cut along the inside of the joists (that is, the side of the joists toward the area you are replacing) and attach pieces of 2x4" to the inside of the joists so that you have something to which to attach the new sub flooring.

In either case it may also be necessary to install a piece of 2x material between the joists to support the end(s) of the old and new sub flooring perpendicular to ("between") the joists.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
Tileguy

How about a few photos before this goes too far?