DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Flooring (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/)
-   -   Help! Need to saw next to cabinets (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/help-need-saw-next-cabinets-8302/)

shotdown 05-07-2007 08:38 PM

Help! Need to saw next to cabinets
 
I need to cut through the kitchen laminate and 1/2" plywood. Prep for hardwood flooring W/O removing the cabinets. I need a saw that can cut very close to the cabinet edge and ALSO I need to saw the areas that are under the overhang where your toes/feet are. A low clearance saw, whats out there that works. Rental options?
thanks.

Big Dave 05-07-2007 09:33 PM

This is what you need. Not sure if a rental store would have it though.

http://www.carpettool.net/toe_kick_saw.asp

send_it_all 05-07-2007 10:07 PM

Or, check into the Fein Multimaster. It's probably a bit more expensive, but a handy tool

space_coyote 05-08-2007 08:17 AM

Some creative Sawzall / reciprocating saw work might do what ya need...especially if you're going have baseboards that might hide a less-than-perfect cut.

AtlanticWBConst. 05-08-2007 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by send_it_all (Post 44082)
Or, check into the Fein Multimaster. It's probably a bit more expensive, but a handy tool

It's next on the toy list. Did you buy yours locally or order it?

AtlanticWBConst. 05-08-2007 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotdown (Post 44061)
I need to cut through the kitchen laminate and 1/2" plywood. Prep for hardwood flooring W/O removing the cabinets. I need a saw that can cut very close to the cabinet edge and ALSO I need to saw the areas that are under the overhang where your toes/feet are. A low clearance saw, whats out there that works. Rental options?
thanks.

An ''Undercut Saw''....standard tool used by all flooring installers.
Should be available to rent.

Example Link:

http://www.tools4flooring.com/crain-...93af92be3a5adf

Big Dave 05-08-2007 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. (Post 44130)
An ''Undercut Saw''....standard tool used by all flooring installers.
Should be available to rent.

Example Link:

http://www.tools4flooring.com/crain-...93af92be3a5adf

I think you misunderstood the question. He needs a toe kick saw like what I linked to.

AtlanticWBConst. 05-08-2007 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 44136)
I think you misunderstood the question. He needs a toe kick saw like what I linked to.

NO DAVE, My answer is better...........




:laughing: (Yes....I very well could have misunderstood the question)

Big Dave 05-08-2007 09:19 AM

It happens to the best of us.:laughing:

shotdown 05-08-2007 09:27 AM

Thanks I new the perfect tool would be out there. A Toe-Kick saw. Would you hire an installer with 20 years hardwood flooring experience and no toe-kick saw? What's wrong with this picture? Sounds like a 20 year housekeeper with no vacuum!

Big Dave 05-08-2007 09:44 AM

A toe kick saw is one of those once in a lifetime tools. Some installers wouldn't even mess with such a job. Ask for credentials not what tools he has.

shotdown 05-08-2007 12:27 PM

Yeah, I agree the credintials are more important than tools. But really, "a once in a lifetime tool" ??? For who?? A DIY for sure! But a so-called Pro? If a Pro wants to pass on almost every flooring install because it does'nt include prior tear out of the cabinets than, more power to him!! Fortunately my first call to a rental shop was successful. $22 for 4 hr. or $30/all day. Still, I agree with your main point, trust but verify with credentials! Thanks.

shotdown 05-10-2007 11:21 PM

Well, I went and rented a Crain Toe-Kick saw. Would you believe it that the minimum clearance of that saw is 3 1/2" and of course I have 3 1/4" vertical clearance. Anyway, I made that thing work! The only thing I broke was the so-called safety guide. What a joke. Breaking that safety thing actually made the tool work better. At least for me!!
In addition, I used my sawzall, inherited by the death of my passing Auntie Joyce last year, Thank you Auntie Joyce. That came in handy too. Not to forget the two wood chisels for the areas otherwise left untouched by the two afformentioned tools. $10- word. Let me tell you, chiseling plywood is tedious but having the right tools, it's do-able!! Thanks for the tips. That 1/2 plywood, supporting the cabinets is FLUSH with the cabinet verticals. If that doesn't help the flooring installation, nothing will!

send_it_all 05-11-2007 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. (Post 44129)
It's next on the toy list. Did you buy yours locally or order it?

I got mine at the JLC trade show in Anaheim, Ca. last year. I dont use it very often, but in certain situations its unbelievable.

merlin1964 05-27-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotdown (Post 44632)
Well, I went and rented a Crain Toe-Kick saw. Would you believe it that the minimum clearance of that saw is 3 1/2" and of course I have 3 1/4" vertical clearance. Anyway, I made that thing work! The only thing I broke was the so-called safety guide. What a joke. Breaking that safety thing actually made the tool work better. At least for me!!
In addition, I used my sawzall, inherited by the death of my passing Auntie Joyce last year, Thank you Auntie Joyce. That came in handy too. Not to forget the two wood chisels for the areas otherwise left untouched by the two afformentioned tools. $10- word. Let me tell you, chiseling plywood is tedious but having the right tools, it's do-able!! Thanks for the tips. That 1/2 plywood, supporting the cabinets is FLUSH with the cabinet verticals. If that doesn't help the flooring installation, nothing will!

Hi, I know it's been over a year since your post on the toe-kick saw, but I'm in need of the same tool for the same reason. I'm trying to locate somewhere I can rent one. Can you tell me where you found a toe-kick saw rental? Thanks.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved