Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2012, 01:19 AM   #1

Share |

Help! Need a Non-Slip Front Porch Surface

I am renovating an old Arts and Craftsman home. The front porch has a worn wood floor, and I am wondering what I could put on the surface -- besides paint -- that would refresh it and make it non-slip during rainy weather. The person I am selling the house to is in his seventies, and I would like to present him with home that doesn't promote hip fractures.

I saw a surface on the porch of a similar home that looked almost like a rubberized burlap. I do not know what that is called, so I can hardly ask for it at my local Home Depot. If anyone knows what I am referring to, I would appreciate knowing what it is called.

Another idea I had was to tile the porch floor with some non-slippery tile that would go with the brick steps that lead up to the porch.

Any comments? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Silky

phillips_sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #2

If you want to stay with the arts and craft theme I don't think the look of tile will work, but not sure. Sorry don't know about the burlap, but I think if you go to a regular floor store rather than HD you would have a lot better chance of finding it or at least info on it. I have seen paint that has a sand like substance in it that is advertised as non slip. And I have heard of adding sand to paint or sprinkling it on wet paint. I have not tried either of these methods so cannot tell you the results. But there will be others on with ideas and results that may help you. Good Luck

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #3

Hey thanks for all the links to non-slip surfaces. Your answers help a lot.

Silkie
phillips_sl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring, flooring advice, tile deck