Help- Need To Find A Good Floor For Totally Enclosed Porch - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
DIYFrau

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Help- Need to find a good floor for totally enclosed porch

I'm renovating my 1940's bunglaow I bought last year. Right now I'm working on the the enclosed porch, which was added on at a later date. I've added before and so-far pics. Now I'm ready to do the floor, but I can't figure out what to use! The porch is really just another room in the house- it has stairs to the basement, and a door into the kitchen, and another 2 doors to outside- one front one back.
There is a heating vent I discovered when I pulled up the old flooring. The heating vent has been blocked at the furnace I think, but I can unblock that, so there can be heat. The issue is that the room can get quite hot in the summer, and will still be cooler in the winter. There are 4 windows, which I'm making shades for, that will cut down on the heat coming in, but I don't know how much.
I wanted to use Allure because it's nice, easy, looks like wood, and is water resistant (snowy boots), but I'm concerned about the heat factor and the edges lifting. (I read the thread)
I've considered lino & vinyl (no good- glue/heat/sun bad), and even just putting T&G flooring over the subfloor. I'd like the plank look, but would it work? Could I use T&G and just stain & varnish the heck out of it? Would it hold up to the heat, cold and moisture? I'm pretty sure the porch is built over dirt- the basement doesn't extend under it. The current subfloor is mostly T&G flooring, with a section of plywood running along the length about 3ft wide.(Looks like it was replaced at some point)
The HD guy also suggested tile- but I'm not sure the floor is solid enough-the porch rests on posts(corner blocks?) and has settled over the years. It's not level by any means, but it is flat. Slight slope across the width.
So- I'm looking for suggestions- tile or planks? What about cork? Or is there something else I can do? Thanks for the advice!
Attached Images

Advertisement

Last edited by glamgirrl; 07-13-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: add pics
glamgirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,322

Wood grain looking vinyl?

Advertisement

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
DIYFrau

Rewards Points: 25

Ok, I've decided to use T&G pine planks. That's the look I want, it's reasonably priced, and I will stain and protect them. Any suggestions on what type of stain and finish coat to use? I'm thinking using exterior would be more durable, even though it's totally enclosed.
Suggestion?
Thanks,
glamgirrl is offline   Reply With Quote