HELP! How To Make Old Oak Floor Look Better! - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

HELP! How to make old oak floor look better!

All of you floor people have been so kind to answer my other posts. I hope some of you can help me with this new dilemma. After spending 2 solid weekends sanding an old oak floor, my son told my hubby & I that he really didn't like the floor because of it's wide variety of colors & grains. Also, he isn't really happy with the large cracks in the floor. I did a test in one closet using Bix Stain able Wood Filler. I skim coated an area about 1'x2'. I let it dry & then sanded the majority of the putty off. Then I applied a Minwax Cherry Stain. The sample turned out beautiful. I've read where some flooring contractors will skim coat a whole floor if it is damaged by gouges, cracks & large gaps in the wood. How hard would this be to do for the diy? Has anyone had any experience with this & if so, what was the outcome after a few years?
Thanks so much!

Advertisement

LeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I don't know if it's available to the homeowner anywhere, but I use a sandable floor filler made by woodwise. I trowel it over the entire floor & sand it off. Big cracks will probably need filled twice. It's color matched to wood species right out of the bucket.

Advertisement

pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I will look for the woodwise. Now if my son would only make up his mind on the color!
LeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote