Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #1

Share |

Help!how to lay no t&g plank floor?

I have enough beautiful old reclaimed boards to lay out the kitchen & dining rm in my old farmhouse.Solid ,level subfloor but I know this will require more than glue!Do I sink and use plugs or is there another option?Thanks!

alaredbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #2

Glue It Bostick Best Is The Brand You Want To Use

trademarktile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
Tileguy

And what about the little critters that will call the gaps home? What will you feed them?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:15 PM   #4

Its In The Kitchen And Dining Room, They Will Just Eat The Crumbs That Fal To The Floor
trademarktile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:21 AM   #5

Thanks for the input.Never heard of the glue but I'll find it.As for critters,I live in the south and should be a professional bug murderer by now.Down here if you have any bugs you have all bugs so it becomes almost an art after a while.I'll do what I can,hopefully a sealant(any input there?)will help.Someone suggested a marine epoxy,is that needed?Thanks again!K
Old 09-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
Tileguy

Wood expands and contracts with atmospheric changes. You'll never seal the cracks totally. Tongue and groove makes a huge difference.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #7

Talking

I hear you on the cracks.I know using any wood is going to require more care,and if it was milled perfect it would lose something.The whole house is a work in progress.I've moved to the land that time forgot.I dont feel strongly about much,except chocolate and finding and using as much as I can from right here in the valley.I'm sure Ill have some sanding and finnish work to do so any advice would be great.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:49 PM   #8

I don't think you'll be happy with the outcome unless you're looking for a very, very rustic look. In order to do it right, the edges need to be ran through a jointer so they're perfectly straight. Then they should be tongued and grooved with a router so they interlock, as all wood flooring does.

Gluing the boards to the joists or gluing them together edge to edge would be a mistake. That floor will move, as will any wood floor. They should be applied with fasteners and nothing more.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #9

I'm voting for rustic, I'd use penny nails to hammer 'er down. Wouldn't countersink to plug. Its a farmhouse, go for it. sand it down, paint it or poly it. I will add that its not my house, not my investment and I don't know exactly what you are getting into.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #10

Im definately going for it.Those boards will be my floor,its just a matter of the best way to go about it.We've got houses out here from before the civil war and Ive seen them with nails and without.Some have bigger gaps and cracks,some have been redone but they're all still there!I think the boards are poplar if that means anything to anyone.K
Old 09-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #11
Not-So-Newbie

If you want to be REALLY rustic and authentic, cut some green locust pegs, make 'em square, and drill holes sort of a bit smaller than the pegs. Pound them in with a mallet or a block of wood and something heavy to drive them in.

I have been in old log houses around here that have no nails at all, and the locust pegs are still tight after a hundred years (Southern Missouri, northern Arkansas)

After you are finished pounding them in, the ends will splay and break, plane them smooth.
Steven62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #12

Very cool,why square?K
Old 09-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #13
Not-So-Newbie

The sharp corners "Bite" into the round hole I guess, and sometimes partly shear off a bit to fit. Those old timers were a crafty bunch!

Steven62 is offline   Reply With Quote