Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2008, 09:26 AM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

help! hardwood meets sliding glass doors

Hi guys,

I just finished a strip flooring project on the main floor of my house - 3/4" maple. This was my first hardwood project, so now I am looking back on the job and the mistakes that I made. The hardwood runs right up to a sliding glass door - it runs perpendicular to the track of the door. As the aluminum track was approximately the same height as the flooring, I butted it right up to the track. I have since questioned whether this was the right way to go about it. What if the floor expands? My wife leaves this door open often which exposes the wood to the elements - should I have left room for expansion? Should I cut away room for a threshold piece such as a square nose / baby threshold / end cap?

My second question relates to where the flooring meets the carpeted riser on the bottom step of the stairs leading to the upper floor of my house. As it stands, I butted the hardwood up to the carpet - should I have removed the carpet first and butted up to the riser?

Having spent $6 / ft on the hardwood, I would hate to see buckling in the spring!

Thanks for helping me out.

Shawn in Toronto

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

shawn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:02 PM   #2

shawn99,
I think your 3/4" hardwood floor install will be fine.

Since the flooring is perpendicular to the sliding door, there will be some expansion but not as much as if you installed the flooring parallel. The wood will expand more along the direction facing the tongue and grooves. It will expand less in the lengthwise direction. And if you left a small gap of say 1/4" at the wall opposite the sliding door, the wood can move in that direction.

Where you butted the flooring up against the carpet of the 1st stair, that is fine also. The wood most likely has enough room to expand as the carpet should give some. If you ever decide to remove the carpet from the stairs and replace with hardwood treads (I'm currently in the process), a board will have to cover the first riser which would cover the gap left behind. If you had butted up against the riser, then the wood could not expand and it may buckle.

Stop worrying!

CPaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
remodeling pro

The flooring running perpendicular to the door is okay. Wood primarly expands across the grain, so the boards are not going to grow in length.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #4

IF you have an issue, saw cut out an inch or so and put an end-cap to cover the cut and leave room for expansion.
mpeterson72 is offline   Reply With Quote