Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #1

Share |

Help With Hardwood Floor Orientation

Hi. I was wondering what the experts would say to do with this hardwood floor. I want it to look professional, but I'm not really sure how to handle the geometry. I'd like some help with which direction a professional would run the boards...I know lengthwise in a hall is usually the norm, but I have so much going on that I don't know where to begin. I'll attach a blueprint. The areas in red are the areas to receive hardwood. I'd love to flow seamlessly from room to hallway, but I'm unsure if this is recommended. I have about 2000 sq ft of hardwood under my belt, so I consider myself still at beginner level, although I did undercut casings and run my other project into 3 rooms, albeit, they were all at right angles to each other. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

hookahnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #2

Your main objective is to run as much flooring as possible across or perpendicular to the floor joists. That should work in the bedrooms. In that diagonal hallway, I would run a transition piece square across the lower left end of the diagonal hall and at the angle in the upper end of that same hall section and in that hall, run the flooring with the length of that hall section. You will also need transition pieces in the bedroom doorways. In the rest of the hall you will run with the length of the hall.

MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #3

Well I have laid thousands of footage , I am an expert , There general rule is as stated ... across the joists. With that in Mind, I have seen it every way and heard every argument , I have never seen it look wierd , The only thing that is likely is,,, If you lay it parrallel, and the joist are 24 inch on center, it is more likely you will see a wavy floor , wether you know it or not a shiny floor will show the little dips between joist , If you lay a 8 foot level or straight edge arcoss you will see if it is prevalent , If the house is a couple years old and the floor has settled and no little dips between the joists, it is probly not going to happen , But the BEST PRACTICES theory is across the joist , sometimes a house has a change of direction in the joist that make it impossible to use best practice , I have not seen a problem or been called back , but don't lay parrelel unless I have to tacomahardwoodfloors.com
tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tacomahardwood. For This Useful Post:
ink (02-21-2012)