Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2006, 04:32 PM   #1
They're all fixer-uppers

Share |

Help with Hardwood evaluation?? Pics enclosed..

After finishing the painting in my house I removed the built-in dropclothes - the old ugly carpeting. Underneath I have nice hardwood floors which had been carpeted over long ago by the Previous owner. I would like to take advantage of the hardwoods, but I have no clue when it comes to hardwood. My problem is, embarrasingly enough, I have no idea on how to gauge the finish. The wood itself seems to be in great shape. None of it is loose or chipped or gouged or anything. I removed allthe staples from the pad and the tack strips.

If I had to guess, I'd say the wood is nicely stained and the finish is just simply worn off completely. I can feel the texture of the wood a bit, but its still smooth. I'm trying to figure out what he minimum effort will be to refinish these floors. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with Hardwood evaluation?? Pics enclosed..-floor1.jpg   Help with Hardwood evaluation?? Pics enclosed..-floor2.jpg   Help with Hardwood evaluation?? Pics enclosed..-floor3.jpg  

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
Home Improvement Guy

It looks good in the pictures, but take out one of the registers and have a look at how much "meat" is left on the hardwood. If it's been refinished a couple or three times over the years you probably won't be able to do it again. If you're lucky you might be able to do a "buff up" job without any sanding, but if there's plenty of meat left, the right way would be to refinish it.

ron schenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:35 PM   #3
diy retard ;)

your floors are in great shape! i'm jealous! we pulled up our carpets and were really disapointed with ours:

i'm not a professional, but a very light sanding and some fresh eurethane on your floors might make them really gleam. it kills me that people cover up such beautiful floors!
><(((jan(((D> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
They're all fixer-uppers

Yeah, I agree. It kills me too. Especially in my case - the carpet was hideous. Also, they carpeted over the hardwoods in the dining room too

I don't have floor registers, but I'll find a place to take a peek at the thickness.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
diy retard ;)

was it brown shag?!?!
><(((jan(((D> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #6
They're all fixer-uppers

YES! Almost anyway, it was brown and close to shag. Blah.

Anyway, there is PLENTY of thickness there. Is it really better to go through the whole thing and sand and stain again and everything if they are in such good shape?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:22 PM   #7
Home Improvement Guy

If it really does look as good as the pictures and you want to save some $$ then just leave them
ron schenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:01 PM   #8
They're all fixer-uppers

You mean exactly as they are? Without even urethaning them?

Now that I look very closely, I think that maybe there never was urethane on them - is that possible? Could it be that as soon as the floors were in they were carpeted? I mean, the one thing that doesn't make sense to me if there was finish, is how could it wear so evenly off the floor. The floor uniformly looks like it is bare stained wood.

I definitely want to save some $$ - I've just put thousands into the house inthe past month and a half. But I do wanna things right. I've done really good w/ everything so far, but I'm just totally clueless w/ these floors. Thanks very much for the help, I really appreciate it.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187
Now that I look very closely, I think that maybe there never was urethane on them - is that possible? Could it be that as soon as the floors were in they were carpeted? I mean, the one thing that doesn't make sense to me if there was finish, is how could it wear so evenly off the floor. The floor uniformly looks like it is bare stained wood.
When was the house built? My parents' house, built in the 1960s, is almost exactly this way. The wood was put down, finished, then it got carpeted. We pulled up the carpet, removed the tack strips and pad (which, miraculously, hadn't stuck to the floor), swept up 20-30 years of sand & dirt, and that was that. The floors didn't need sanding, refinishing, or anything.
NothingsLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:57 PM   #10
They're all fixer-uppers

I'm under the impression that hardwoods need to be urethaned and quite shiny to be properly protected, am I wrong?

I would love to keep my floors more the way they are now than to put a STRONG shine on them like i've seen. I prefer the look of natural wood more so than I do the look of a sheet of glass over wood.