Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #1

Share |

Help Getting started with floor Hardwood floor layout

Hello,

I am in the process of installing hardwood floors (1st time.) I have read alot of posts and youtube videos but I am having a problem getting started. I have the floor stripped to the subfloor. It is level (with 15lb roofing felt). How do I measure for the first row? Attached is the front of the house (this is what is confusing me, if it was just a room I wouldn't have a problem). The middle of the picture is the entry way into the house. How do I measure to make sure the chaulk line is straight? Am I making this too complicated. Help
Attached Images

DeDanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Licensed Contractor

Help Getting started with floor Hardwood floor layout

What does the rest of the room/flooring look like?
Generally, take the longest wall parallel to the flooring and determine a centerline based on the best positioning of floor planks. You want to maximize flooring at the long wall edges to prevent having to install some slender ripping along the wall, which looks like crap.

You must decide whether you want to determine the centerline based on the entry wall, or the rest of the long exterior wall. Possibly some compromise between the two.

Laying out wood flooring is much like planning a tile job, only easier, because there are no grout lines. If you know the width of your plank, you should be able to come up with some reasonably accurate centerline.
Once I snap my line, depending on the layout, I will screw down a 2x4 (hitting the joists) along the line. I place the first course of flooring groove-first against this 2x4, and proceed to the wall. When this is done, remove the 2x4 and insert a spline into the groove and start laying flooring in the remainder of the room. It's much easier to control the layout in this manner, rather than just start putting down planks against the wall.
Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote