Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Angry

Help! Fuzz in final poly coat

Yesterday I applied my final (4th) coat of polyurethane (Varethane clear satin) and was ecstatic. I was doing the yippee skippy dance ... until this morning... There are fuzzy pieces embedded in the poly

I used the Varethane applicator pad (lambswool-like) for my project following many recommendations to do so. I had an occasional fuzz in the previous coats, but NOTHING like this time! I should've been recognizing a problem with the pad on the earlier coats (hindsight is 20/20) but it didn't register. Again, it was only a couple in the entire space.

I was extremely meticulous about every step of this project including keeping a clean, dust free environment so I KNOW the fuzz came from the pad.

Now, there are LOTS of these fuzzy suckers!! I see them easily and I'm not happy. I want to correct this today so hoping someone can give advice.

Here's what I'm thinking I should do. Buy a real Lambswool pad applicator. Sand, vacuum, tack off and apply another coat of poly. I'm assuming there will be no problem having 5 coats of poly instead of 4... maybe just longer dry/cure time. By the way - I'm thinking 7 days dry/cure time before moving furniture back into the room. Is this enough time?

If there is a better or easier way to fix this I'd love to hear from you. Thanks so much!! Rox

Here's a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Help! Fuzz in final poly coat-fuzz-final-coat.jpg  

roxksears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #2

Update..

I just got back from Lowe's.. told them about my fuzz situation. The fella that had helped me in the past got his manager involved who said, yeah these pads tend to fall apart after you clean them. If that is the case it should be labeled "one use only"! The fella got his manager to give me 100% lambswool pad no charge as an extension of his apology which was nice of them.

So... I'll sand and give it a 5th coat. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

roxksears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #3

It is possible to get too many coats on your floor, so be sure to stretch this top coat. With your new lambs wool, take your wifes hair or a cat brush & brush the excess lambswool fibers out before you use it. Then, take some duct tape & tack off the remaining fibers. My next piece of advice would be to thin your top coat of finish between 10-15% naptha. You'll be amazed at how much better that little step will make your floor. Really flows out the finish super smooth.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote